1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good visual examples of lead vocalist/bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by hrgiger, Apr 6, 2009.

1. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I was wondering what youtube videos show bassists that are also lead vocalists where the basslines aren't dumbed down to let the bassist sing. A lot of bands in which the bassist is the lead vocalist play songs that have very rudimentary basslines. And I think that just going by the albums, you don't really get an idea what they are capable of because when they play the songs live, they don't always play the same basslines.

Anyway, a lot of people have already seen this video, but it shows remarkable ability to play/sing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ-wWKRUYuY

and another version years later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmmRi8giFos&feature=related

Edit: I just found this version where Gene plays some sort of Les Paul style bass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80h5RQu55Z8&feature=related

2. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    The obvious here would be Les Claypool (Primus), Geddy Lee (Rush) and Sting (The Police, etc.). I think that Slayer has a lead singer/bassist, too.

Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) doesn't sing into a mic, but *does* sing along live. Does that count?

3. PBass101

PBass101

Jul 3, 2008
    Illinois
    How about this?

4. b4nny

b4nny

Aug 24, 2008
    Bellevue, WA, USA
    Phil Lynott (RIP)

5. DOGGSMACK

DOGGSMACK

Apr 7, 2009
    lemmy from motorhead

i be tryin like hell

gene simmons@ that dude from the eagles

what about paul mcartney he's pretty good

geddy lee is one of my all time fav.

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Anything with John Wetton, Jack Bruce or Chris Squire

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    JACK BRUCE! He's the only lead singer/bassists that I'm aware of who flat out sings and plays improvisationally at the same time. It's uncanny how he seems to have two brains- one fully devoted to emotional and expressive singing while the other brain is controlling his exploratory bass work.

Sting is great, just a wonderful vocalist and inventive bassist. Peter Cetera of Chicago could be very good too, but the four times I saw them I thought his bass playing tended to be a bit more stiff while singing than while he wasn't. It was subtle though. I'm not a fan of Rush and/or Geddy, but what little I've paid attention to he has it together too. McCartney and his protegé Will Lee come to mind immediately.

It's been a while since I listened to the live Poco album "DeLIVErin'", but Timothy B. Schmit always appealed to me as both a vocalist and bassist. Can't tell from his current band, The Egos, how he's doing with that however. And Larry Graham ain't no slouch at doing both.

jte

8. tomwilliams1983

tomwilliams1983

Apr 6, 2009
    When i try to play and sing at the same time (i cant sing i just enjoy it) i find i cant do it except on certain songs. what makes it odd is that one song might have a really simple bassline and i cant sing along while another might have a fairly complex one and i can do both tasks without even thinking about it. It's rather confusing :(

9. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This one is a good example of HOLY CRAP:

10. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Very nice!:cool:

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA

And "White Room" from the same gig.

12. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Doug Pinnick.

13. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    Wow he really is great! He does seem to have 'two channels' his singing and playing are so separate and distinct. I think Gene did a great job on the unplugged but this guy really has it down too! :bassist:

14. tegnoto89

tegnoto89

Dec 24, 2008
    Syracuse

JB all the way. The man who got me started playing bass.

15. Al Cisneros of Sleep, and now of OM...

16. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    That one has always amazed me. Good pick.

17. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    +1. Al rocks.

18. mlafrancis

mlafrancis

Jun 26, 2008
    You may not know him, or the band, but Peter Steele from Type O Negative. He's ana wesome bassist with a uniqe voice and bass sound. And Lemmy is the best haha

19. Jamarcla

Jamarcla

Nov 17, 2007
    Seth Horan :

20. hrgiger

hrgiger

Jan 11, 2009
    I would hope people know Steele. Carnivore was wicked...

Here is one for everyone. Awesome bassist, awesome lead vocals, awesome song, awesome bass! Check out ZZ Top's Dusty Hill back in 1984:

Party on the Patio

2a7999f.