Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TheChariot, Jun 24, 2005.

1. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    YOINK! $300.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

It's far from the cleanest V4B out there, and I expect to throw some money into it within the next year... but that doesnt bother me one bit.

I'm supposed to graduate from High School in about... 3 hours... and I cant tell you tempted I am to just skip it and lock myself in my basement :smug:

Attached Files:

2. Tuuuubes! I love the V-4, terrific sounding amp.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Figures that the day I go crazy over a major GAS satisfying purchase... Talkbass shuts down for a day :p

I tested this baby out on my BXT410 yesterday with the full band.... and I am so friggon happy.

Today we were hangin around... and we gave it a run on guitar, just for the hell of it.... since my guitar player doesnt have an all-tube head.

Dare I say.... it might even sound better on guitar than it does on bass. It just ROARED through a Marshall 1960A cab. We found about 3 different tones that would we would LOVE to use in Live or Recording situations. My guitarist is hunting on eBay, and soon he will have a V4 hopefully.... and that will be friggon amazing.

I do have a quick question though. By guitarist terms.... does Digital reverb sound better than tube reverb? I honestly havent heard tube reverb.... so I guess I'll find out eventually. It is just something that is kinda prefered or not prefered by the player?... cuz it kinda seems like it.

But yeah... anyways, thank you to all you guys who never shutup about your Trace, Orange, Ampeg, Sunn, Mesa and other great tube heads... because you got me friggon addicted to tubes before even really having much experience playing through them myself :p.

I feel like I'm a part of a family now. It's weird, but exciting :hyper:
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Welcome to the tube club, where its always warm, but not muddy ;)
  5. godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    Damn i'm jealous, thats exactly like my stolen head (sob) right down to the burned out power/stand by lights, except for the torn grill cloth. Its a magnavox head, right?

Write down the serial number, I was stupid and had no record of the serial numbers on any of my stolen gear.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice score! That makes for a great graduation gift! :D
  7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    not generally ... Have your guitarist look for one of the old Ampeg combos. Very similar sound to the V4 but at a lower volume. The VT-40 was more like 40 watts (as I recall) and would be a definate find! I think there was a 60 watt model as well. The VT22 is the 100 watt combo version of your V4. They are all good amps as I recall they all have reverb but I could be wrong there.

He'll get a little more use out of an amp he can run harder. These were not master volume amps and a guitarist with a V4 and a 4x10 (or a VT 22) is a frightening thought!
  8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    How about a guitarist with a rack with 3 all tube power sections, I believe 100 watts each? They are Mesa power sections, and hes got a Marshall 412 hooked up to each. I'm glad I don't play with that guy :D
  9. that's a good price

I've seen one in a second hand music store over here(well..not my town, but Nijmegen, also in the netherlands) that's going for 950 Euros, that makes 1155,- $.

I wish I lived in America...well, actually I love living here and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, but for gear purposes it'd rule
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

haha! Definately! :D I cant get over how satisfied I am with it. I feel like I'm getting much more "full" usage out of my cab. It just sounds like its getting the fed the power that it really wants.

I switched it in during band practice, and the V4B is definately louder than my other racked rig, which is an Ampeg B2R (preamp only) through a QSC RMX1450. It's so much more flexible too! We do a cover of "Pinhead" by the Ramones, and I just flipped on the Ultra-Low, and it was so awesome to hear something that actually sounded reminiscent of older days.

Next band practice, I'm gonna perch my rack atop of my cab again, and use that for practice, and my guitar player is going to play through the V4B just to see how it sounds in the full arrangement (on guitar). Should be really interesting :hyper:
  11. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Very cool. Tubes are the shiz ;)

12. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    You're pretty smart for a young fella... :D
  13. godraphonic

Jun 6, 2005
    bookmark "" for lots of great tech info on maintaining the little beast.
  14. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the direction! I'll keep this site handy.

One plus I have is that the other 2 people in my band are both electricians, so they can help with minor stuff. The power cable was quite frayed up near the end, and I pointed that out to my guitar player as we took a break in practice (to make a ton of food, of course)... and by the time I was done grilling a bunch of burgers, I returned to the basement to find that the dangerous looking spot on the power cable was gone, and the cable was a mere 3" shorter. :cool:
  15. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Good to hear you like the head so much. Lots of people say they arent loud enough but those folks obviously arent into distortion! :D I love the sound of that amp with the volume at 12 or higher. Its so nasty and distorted I cant really tell the difference between my jazz or precision. :p