1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Great mic experience w/ Blue Blueberry

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by bnutz, Sep 5, 2008.

1. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I recently did a recording session and was thrilled with the tone the engineer got out of my bass, and now I may be in the market for a new mic!

I know there are several threads here about mic preferences, but I didn't see the Blueberry listed so I figured I'd post my thoughts. I think it sells new for around $1K and you can find them used for $700. Not cheap, but I'd put it up there with some of the $3K+ Neumanns I've used in the past.

The track I was playing on was a string based metal-type thing- very different from anything I've done before- and would require both arco and pizz. technique. The artist was going for a really harsh, but not distorted tone that would have to cut through drums and layers of distorted strings... My first thought was Ohh Kaaay... but I kept an open mind and we started working on the track.

I've got a Shen 7/8 Willow Flatback with Obligato strings and was playing in a pretty acoustically dead room. We set up the Blueberry and started experimenting with mic placement and pres. We settled pretty quickly on setting the mic very close to the bridge, pointed directly at the bridge just a bit on the treble string side. This gave us great attack (both with bow and fingers) and lots of great bow scrape without sacrificing any low end.

The engineer was using Sonar with a Yamaha O1V as an interface and also had a Universal Audio 6176. We switched the mic back and forth between the pres on the O1V and the 6176 and got amazing tones out of each.

The O1V was bright and present (but again with great low end) and really enhanced the percussive elements of the bass (in a good way- no clackiness). It was also a really clean, transparent sound.

The 6176 was unbelievably sweet. Super rich, vintage tones, yet still natural. Not mushy or boomy at all. But also not right for the recording we were doing.

So in the end, it was directly from the Blueberry into the Yamaha and we were all super pleased with the tone. I don't think the engineer did much in the way of eq-ing on the way in, and it sure didn't sound like it needed it. I'm kind of bummed, but I just finished recording a gypsy jazz record with a Groove Tubes tube mic and thought the tone was great, but now wish I could redo everything with the Blueberry. It's a serious investment, but I'm thinking it might be worth it to know you can walk into any session, no matter how small (I've had to record in the bathroom before and often directly into a DigiDesign box), or even live gig, and be confident you're going to have killer tone.

I'd love to know if anyone else has had experience with this mic, positive or negative.

-b