1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Great source of synth/distortion sounds

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Devo-lution, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    In my opinion, there's a "synth pedal" that's flying under the radar: DSI Evolver desktop synth.

It's actually a synth but it really offers a lot of processing options. I have one and read on the internet that it's quite the beast for experimental guitar processing. Yesterday, I decided to use it to process my bass.

Usable parameters: lowpass filter (curtis filter, switchable between 12 and 24 db), highpass filter, feedback loop, digital delay, noise, digital distortion, bitcrusher, envelope, 4 lfo's and a 4x16 sequencer...

I quite liked it. It'll take some programming to write "external bass patches" and some sounds are really harsh (especially feedback, bit crusher and distortion). I'm curious whether the low end will keep up in a mix when distorting the signal.

Still, I'm going to give it a shot to write some patches and see if I can produce decent enough patches to take it to the stage as some kind of warped multi-fx unit. To be continued :).

Anyone else using the evolver to mutilate their bass tone?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I own a Mono Evolver keyboard pot edition, and have plugged bass into. There are about 10 "presets" designed for guitar/bass input, but none really did anything for me. For synth bass, I much prefer the keyboard, which is far easier to program and play.

3. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    True, I also usually use mine with the built in sequencer or a keyboard and the presets aren't exactly inspiring.

It takes some tweaking of the presets to get a decent bass/guitar sound out of it. I'm not sure whether it's something I'd actually use, but to me it seems interesting enough to try and program some "better" presets.