1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Grittier strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by thebasskid, Aug 5, 2012.

1. thebasskid

thebasskid

Jul 31, 2010
    hey i play a fleabass and i need some new strings. in the past i've had EB super slinkys and GHS Flea Bass Boomer. Neither really get me the sound/feel i want. They both seem slick and smooth but i want something grittier:eyebrow: like on a factory Fender H1 or Roadworn. I like to slap, but thats not my #1. Please help!:help:

2. Adjust your playing and equipment settings, possibliy including the setup of your instrument. Buying new equipment won't make you a better musician, but practising and setting your equipment up correctly will. Despite what people say, most of your tone does come from your fingers...

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Strings with grit = Rotosound 66 steel. They won't feel very smooth under your fingers but that's the price you pay for the sound.

4. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    +1.

These are mean strings. Depending on how you perspire (and it's contents) they can die quite quick (not for me).

They will chew your frets up and spit them out IME.

A great compromise is the roto 66 nickels. Nowhere near as gritty as the steels, but with a lot growlier mids and a slicker, but still harsh feel. :bassist:

5. thebasskid

thebasskid

Jul 31, 2010
    Thats exactly what i want! Its just as much the gritty sound as a rough feel for me! Gracias

6. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    He's looking for new strings — not a new a bass. At no point does he say he thinks that the new strings will make him a better musician.

7. Yea I can second that, after being a D'Addario user for years, I chucked a set of 66 Nickels on both my basses yesterday. They didn't seem to have as much presence as the D'Addarios at first but once my ears adjusted (four years of using one brand of strings is a long time), I could hear a more subtle bite coming through. They feel smooth too which is nice, but I'll have to run them through a bunch of gigs and reheasals to see how they stand up to real punishment.

I've heard they go dead quickly, but then again, out of the packet both sets were a bit less snappy and bright than the equivalent D'Addario set (same guage, scale, material, and basic design), so my intuition tells me that their ageing process will be more subtle (I try to keep my strings on for a year, if not longer). But yea, they sound good, very even and they like being plucked hard (they sound sweet on my Warwick Thumb).

One design feature that is neat is the partial taper. Most tapers are so long that the tapered part of the string sits on the bridge saddle, which I hate because it means that you have to readjust the affected saddles, and also makes the string more prone to breaking (that's based only on my experience but seems to conform with reason; thinner strings are weaker structurally). But the partial tapers are short enough for that to not be a problem, and long enough to help with, for example, older Warwick bridges that don't have enlarged ball-end holes (lol).

Plus, Billy Sheehan, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire, and Steve Harris all use Rotosounds (as did John Entwhistle, R.I.P.), so they can't be too shabby I guess :)

8. I would say that stainless steel strings of any kind will probably get you there.

I personally like DR Hi Beams and Lo-Riders (Steel on round core, Steel on hex core, respectively)

9. Creamhill

Creamhill

Sep 25, 2012
    Canada
    I have put some Ernie Ball on my 6-strings. It has the kind of growl I like, but you guys looks to advice the Rotosounds. Is it much better than Ernie Balls?

10. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    I used to use Rotosound Swing Bass stainless steel in the 1980s.
    Nowadays I find them inconsistent (i.e. some strings are better than others in the same set) and they go dead quicker than some other strings.

Recently tried DR Hi Beams and liked them better than rotos for grit and throaty growl.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Blue Steel's are pretty gritty and rough on the fingers.

Some of these gnarley steel strings can wear down your frets (as I have seen on my Cirrus!).

12. May I recommend trying GHS Pressurewounds? They feel smooth, but can sound aggressive.

What kind of sound are you looking for, exactly?

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Roto 66

Blue Steels

14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Labella Super Steps get me there on my five string