1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

guitar humbucker in a bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by hachi kid, May 12, 2010.

1. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Often so, my Marshall / Avatar rig is awful with guitar.
    But on the other hand, I loved the tone I got with my guitars through an Ibanez solid state bass amp so much that it has become my only guitar amp.

2. hachi kid

hachi kid

Jun 2, 2008
    Austin, TX
    remember that the old Fender Bassman used to actually be preferred more by guitarists than bassists. and also, my guitarist uses a bass amp. kind of funny, the guitarist uses a bass amp, and the bassist uses a guitar amp. hah.

3. You guys are understanding me wrong.

There are plenty of guitar amps that sound great as bass amps.
    The question is whether they provide a guitar tone, or if your bass still sounds like a bass, because of the scale length, string gauge, pitch, etc...

4. I was just going off on a tangent, there are some bass amps that do sound good for guitar, the clean tones can be very nice sometimes, just for distortion they seem to be awful (in standard tuning at least, can imagine for B standard and all that carry on they might fare better).

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

This is the kind of tone you can expect.

6. Yes, but different in more subtle ways than "guitar sound" or "bass sound"

There are minor differences with some of the pickups, but in general most pickup makers design their pickups to be as full-range as possible, whether guitar or bass. Certain guitar pickups might be designed to give fatter sound or more biting highs, and certain bass pickups might be designed to give deeper lows or smoother mids, but you would be surprised at how much low end a decent guitar pickup can put out, and how much high end a decent bass pickup can put out, if you were to use the guitar pickup in a bass and the bass pickup in a guitar.

7. That actually sounds pretty good.
    It's got the soloed J bridge pickup vibe that I like.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Yep. Good tone but not good for everything.
    Very percussive with a lot of attack, the lowest range is somawhat weak though.

9. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    Well... this thing sounds supergood.

It's got a GFS Crunchy Rails pickup that clocks in at 16.2k.

The thing screams... but not shrill or muddy... I dig it.

Attached Files:

10. What's up with the off-centered yellow stripe?
    I've seen that bass before, and you've got another off-centered stripe on the headstock, right?

11. Yeah what is that light blue bass??? It looks really fun!!!

12. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Yes... it's actually apple green and the headstock matches. I think I posted it in a Tele bass thread. I can't really say what is up with the stripe... I just felt like doing it.

13. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    It's just a bass I made with stuff I had laying around. One of the first bodies I ever made, some generic P neck that I reshaped, made and aluminum nut, nice but generic hardware... etc.. It is fun. Sounds and plays awesome for what it is.

14. Well I think you should make more similar ones!

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    this is exactly what I'm gonna do to my Gibson Thunderbird (been through TWO noisy sets of Gibson Thunderbird pickups...I give up on them). Having the custom humbucker rings cut as we speak.

Did you wire it in series or in parallel? That's what I'm worried about.....if the dual rail pickups will be too hot in series. The pickups I'm getting aren't GFS but some other import. They look just like that and are 10k for the neck and 16.5k for the bridge. Not sure if I should go series or parallel though.

16. Series/parallel switch. Problem solved.

17. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    That IS coming for sure (push pull volume pots) but at first I'll be wiring them up as either/or.

18. markanini

markanini

Jun 25, 2008
    Just placed an order for some Wilde USA(Bill Lawrence) noise-free Strat-sized single-coils. Can't wait to get my hands on them! Here's a pic of the bass they're going in to:
    [​IMG]

19. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I went ahead and put them in and wired the in series. Sounds awesome.

Attached Files: