Guitar Scale Acoustic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SBassman, Aug 18, 2018.

1. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Anyone got a dadario string set to sell cheap. I broke an e. Or i should say it is coming unwound...

2. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    If you can't find a cheap EXPPBB190GS set, and unless you have to have a coated low E, you could try and see how a single La Bella CB66 nyloncore silverplated copper 090 fares alongside the remaining D'Addarios (4 bucks + a flat $4 shipping rate in the US):
    La Bella CB66 (6th String) Contrabass Guitar 85cm Scale, Single String

3. tymbrewolf

tymbrewolf

Nov 10, 2003
    Ordered two. Thanks for the advice

HaphAsSard likes this.
  4. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

5. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Supporting Member

It's sitting in the mix pretty well. Looks the part, too.

6. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Lanikai Bass A/E Ukulele
    So far gone unmentioned here, but it is a GSAB in all but name - 23.4" scale.

@edfriedland briefly plays one here; @landrybass also owns one, as shown here:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  7. anserg63

anserg63

Feb 13, 2021
    I do not understand how Gold Tone MBLS strings can fit the both 23" and 25" MicroBass models if the "working lenght" of the flatwound string must be different for 23" and 25" scales.

8. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    I've never tried to use them on a 23" scale bass. They work fine on my 25" guitar scale basses.

9. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I use the MBLS on my Rondo Music Hadean solid body fretted bass ukes, UB 22-33 that are close to 24" scale and they fit perfectly. When I replaced the standard bass uke piezo bridge and pickup with an all metal fully adjustable one, I had to add short extensions at the balls for them to fit. I also use them on a Savannah Traveler 23" bass on which I added a tailpiece for them to fit.

Jazz extension 1024.jpg

Savannah Green w decal 1200.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    macmanlou likes this.
  10. anserg63

anserg63

Feb 13, 2021
    Just to clarify....Are we talking about Gold Tone MicroBass Flatwound Strings ( LaBella MBLS)?
    I understand that Gold Tone MicroBass Silverbacks Silver-Wrapped Nylon Strings (MBLNS) being roundwound and non-tapered on the tuner side will fit the both 23" and 25" scales.
    I just bought very nice cheap guitar and have in mind to convert it into bass.
    The scale is 24.75". Solid cedar top and the same herringbone purflings around the soundhole as Gold Tone MB has. I love Galli flatwounds on my Lanikai 23" and would like to use flatwounds on my project too.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  11. anserg63

anserg63

Feb 13, 2021
    BR dread _1.jpg

12. mahgnillig

mahgnillig

May 19, 2009
    I bought an Ibanez PNB14e a few months ago to try out as I'd never played an acoustic bass before. The scale of it feels great (my other basses are an Ibanez Mikro and Kala U-bass) but I really dislike the strings. I have flats on my Mikro and the standard rubber strings on the U-bass, both of which I like although they are very different. I dislike how floppy and rough the copper round wound strings are, and much prefer the feel of the Chromes I have on my Mikro. Having read through this thread a few times it looks like flats aren't really an option for the PNB14E, so I'm looking at buying something else instead that I can use flats on.

What are the options if I just want something simple that will work together with flats and won't have weird intonation problems? I'm a new bass player (just over a year) and this is the only instrument I play so I don't have a lot of experience tinkering. From reading here it looks like the MK Sojourn might be an option. I saw Orangewood Oliver Jr mentioned a few times but I can't find it on their website.

13. anserg63

anserg63

Feb 13, 2021
    My LANIKAI SPST-EBU works fine with Galli KA-BASS-4FW Chrome Steel Flat Wound Ukulele Bass Strings for 23" scale length

14. steve_rolfeca

The Michael Kelly Sojourn gets a lot of love on here.

@macmanlou had a set of La Bella MBLS flats on his. If he can confirm that the intonation was good, that might be your best bet.

15. macmanlou

macmanlou Don't push it. Just let it fall. Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Washington, DC Area
    The intonation is as good as it was when I checked it with the stock strings before I put the flatwounds on.

I like it the way it is, but having the bridge saddle compensated would probably make it a little better in the higher-numbered frets.

The Sojourn's pinless bridge makes the flatwounds' installation very easy.

16. anserg63

anserg63

Feb 13, 2021
    So- as I can see, the pinless bridge is better choice when convering acoustic guitar into bass.

17. screefer

screefer

Nov 7, 2017
    The Island
    Hang in there re Strings.
    They like a lighter touch but I grew to like them after getting to know them.

18. steve_rolfeca

I have a new favourite amp for these little guys.

I sold a bunch of gear, and celebrated by picking up a Headrush FRFR-108. Bass is slightly boosted compare to my JBL LSR308’s, but other than that, it’s nearly as smooth and balanced as a decent studio monitor. I’ll keep my Bose S1 Pro around for busking because it’s a few pounds lighter and runs for hours on the built-in battery, but the Headrush has more headroom, and sounds a little better.

No tone control except for a contour switch (I leave it off), but as long as you have EQ on your bass or preamp pedal, this is better for the price than regular bass combos like the Rumble 40 and 100, small Ampeg BA’s, etc. The 2000 watt rating is obviously marketing hype, but it shocked me by being comparable to more expensive PA wedges from Yamaha, E-V, QSC, etc.

SBassman likes this.
  19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    It does justice with a bass?

Why did you do this? :) Now you have me interested.

20. steve_rolfeca

Up to a point. There’s only so much that a small cab can do, but within it’s operating envelope, it sounds better than most bass amps. Think Mesa Walkabout or Genzler.

There are 2 reasons why I chose the Headrush, aside from the excellent price:

One is that I’m spoiled. My EB rig features an AudioKinesis Thunderchild. It looks like a PA top bin, but as long as you can drive it with lots of power, it sounds like a boutique 3*10 or 4*10 bass cab. The low B is stellar- solid and articulate.

The other reason, is that I already have a great setup for regular electric bass tones. If I’m playing a borrowed upright, the Guild or the Ibanez, I want to sound woody and acoustic.

I went on a shopping spree after I bought the Ibanez. I was looking for a small, unobtrusive combo that I could tuck under a chair at acoustic jams and open mic’s, so I could keep up with a larger group without spoiling the unplugged vibe.

For small groups, the Bose does that pretty well. Still, you can only do so much with battery power and 60 watts. The Headrush has a lot more headroom before it farts out. It can hang with hand percussion or a gentle drummer- even with my 5-string EB.

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    SBassman likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021