Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

had a lesson with Aaron Clay

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by PB+J, Sep 6, 2005.

1. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    Wonderful player--member of the Marine band and principle bassist of the Fairfax (VA) symphony

feats of clay

What fantastic technique, but also what a patient, open and modest guy--willing to meet me where I am and work with it. Very cool guy.

He has me playing very basic stuff, stuff I skipped in hurry to get up to a reasonable level of playing

2. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Great score, man!

3. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    Wow! I'm reviving an almost 3 year old thread. Well, I had the pleasure of watching Mr. Clay do his thing last night and let me tell you, I have never seen anyone play upright quite like that. I just realized that this thread is under orchestral technique but I witnessed him playing jazz. He has to be a monster in classical music as well. He is off the chain.

I would be willing to fly to DC to take a couple of lessons with him.

4. glenfong

glenfong Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    East Bakersfield, CA
    yeah, Robin!

Aaron has some nimble, frighteningly fast fingers. agreed, his technique is something else.

also would like to add that Mr. Clay was using a borrowed 7/8 Wilfur upright and a borrowed custom 5-string electric for last night's concert, played 'em like he owned 'em! great concert and great learning experience just watching him play.

5. Basseroni

Basseroni

Oct 17, 2006
    Southern California
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Dunlop/MXR
    Hey Glen! Nice seeing you on talkbass finally!

Yes,he has inspired me to start with a real upright instead of an Eminence.