1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Happy With Your Setup??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman2, Oct 14, 2013.

1. +1

2. Zoomie

Zoomie

Jan 26, 2012
    East Tennessee
    I'd say yes !

I can say that I am playing the best gear for me that money can buy. There is one more cab design that would be perfect for me but no one makes so I have to wait for Greenboy to drag out abacus.

Haven't done any serious shopping for in months. I think I am at a point where I can spend a lot of money AND lose ground.

I do get to work on my upright signal chain which is cool.

I did find one purchasing situation that is actually more difficult than finding one's dream gear and tone.

I am currently shopping to donate a rig to our church with the following criteria.

1) No combos

2) Needs to-die-for tone

3) Simple EQ

4) Stable enough to survive 20 year olds and beginning guitar players that "play bass."

Wish me luck !

3. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    My amp sounds like a low bit rate mp3 and I couldn't be happier

4. Yes.

5. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Ha ha .. me too.....

I am quite happy with my rig and my gas is pretty much done. I have a Shuttlemax 9.2 arriving today .. and this is the first new amp I have bought since 2001 and that one was an SWR La-15 combo that was the first bass gear I had bought in over 20 years.. I have a SL900 and two Mini12Ls and a Tri-115 and two go to basses that do what I need.

I have to say though that since I started playing again in 01 I have learned so much from this site that it still boggles my mind. I pretty much bought my entire rig except for this Max coming today and my B3 from the classifieds here. Both basses and the cases that they are in my cabs' my 900 and the previous 3 heads I had all came from here. I just sold my 6.0 and truth be told the only reason I got the 9.2 was because I like the GB stuff so much and the price was right. By selling my 6.0 and adding a little more cash I was able to get the 9.2 brand new.. but after this I am pretty much dine except I would eventually like to get an American made MTD 535 but it will take me a while to save up for that so in the mean time I am quite happy.

6. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    Missouri
    So happy I sometimes forget how happy I am. Switched over to light weight cabs (Epifani UL 2x10 and 1x15) and amp (GB Shuttle 9.0) and a Lakland 44-02. Just started using a Darkglass B3k and have no complaints. Sold almost everything else.

7. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    :D

You don't have golden ears, that's for sure. ;)

8. Happy? Yes.

Done? No. I'm trying to decide on a US 55-60 and which electronics to put in it.

9. A couple of different cabs, a couple of different heads - mix/match as needed - far better than I deserve, far less than many great players are using.

that said - all paid for - gigged regularly and pretty reliant for the most part.

I look almost everyday........just to see.........heh heh heh

10. Forrrest

Forrrest

Mar 10, 2013
    Couldn't be happier with my SVT-VR & Berg NV412. Still on the look out for something that will top it, but nothing yet. I'm confident enough in this rig that I bought a second one just like it.

maybe a mesa PH412 & the upcoming strategy amp will give it a challenge.

11. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    I've been happy with my gig setup for several years. Mesa Carbine or GB Shuttlemax 9.2 through LDS 15/6= everything I want and nothing I don't. However, I am perpetually messing with my practice/home/small jam setup....maybe this is because I am vainly trying to find the sound of the gig rig in an even smaller package. I may end up biting the bullet and getting a fEarful 12/6 which will do just that at under 40lbs instead of 55 lbs.

12. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I was happy playing my Walkabout/Baer ML-112. Since I've been playing my Reeves/MAS 110 Flex, I'm done. A better rig for me does not presently exist. ;)

The Walkabout has been relegated to the living room to power my E-140 loaded Showman cabinet. When my buddy completes my '59 Bassman clone, the Walkabout will probably be liquidated.

13. searchfunction

searchfunction Guest

Nov 26, 2010
    Here's how happy I am with my GK MB800 and two Carvin BRX-10.2 neos. I got in on the Amazon Aguilar deal and sold them to another TB'er for just what I paid for them- $350.

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm happy.

That doesn't mean I stop looking for even better or different gear though, there's always that holy grail out there that will make me a great player. ;)

15. fjadams

fjadams

Jun 7, 2011
    Danbury, CT
    Completely satisfied with my GK MB212 II and MBP 115 bottom, all I'll ever need. Wouldn't turn down an Orange Terror 500 combo though.

As for basses, more than enough. Even though I have a Starcaster on order, and still am thinking about the new Guild Starfire or the Lakland HB if the coloring on it wasn't so tragic.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yes I am quite happy with my rig and I have been for years. I am fairly easy to please in the bass department, I buy used gear to get deals so I learn to adapt to things like wood choices and string spacing.

Does that mean I stop looking at the classifieds and stop buying gear? Lard no! Don't be silly. Although on that note I currently have too many number ones but I do not want to part with any of them as they all serve a purpose.

17. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I'm happy and that is making me unhappy. I like trading up and getting gear. But now I'm really happy with my gear and I no longer need anything. Lol. Stupid happiness.

18. Artobass

Artobass

Jan 21, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    I'm happy with my current set up Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and Uber 410. 1 Fender P and 1 Fender J. I would rather concentrate on my chops then GAS for new stuff....Don't get me wrong, I love to shop and see new equipment. Happy for now.

19. TheRealKong

TheRealKong

Mar 17, 2011
    I was happy with my sound 25+ years before, when I purchased a sealed 410''-cab that matched perfectly to my GK 800 RB. I got rid of all those old fashioned 215'' and 212''-cabs I owned, because my band broke up. The 800 RB died, and I purchased a GK 200 MB. Same sound. I was happy.

I was happy when I purchased a SWR Redhead 20+ years ago. Together with the sealed 410'' I loved the sound. Lots of bassmen have been jealous of my tone in this time.

As the Redhead died, I got me another combo, a Marshall MB 4410. To be honest, I liked the sound of this combo, together with the sealed 410''-cab. I know that the MB-series gets not so much love here on talkbass. Lots of people call this amps mediocre - if not worser. But this combo served me well for more than a year, and my students play over it until now.

To make a long story short, I am happy with my sound nowadays, couldn't be happier today. I bought some amps, only when the old gear died not repaiable, and I liked them all.

Today I have three fullstack rigs, one 610'' and two 810'', amps of different brands, I have a Promethean 5110 for practising and a SWR Workingman 212'' + Markbass LM II when I want to go ultra light on bigger stages, and with either rig I love my sound.

And, much better, my bands and fellow musicians love my sound, too.

If you want to know exactly, what rigs I play, take a look into my profile. I described all my old gear I was happy with. Now its Your turn. :)

I thought about getting me a new bass lately, another fivestring. But I decidet not to buy another one, because I have 3 fivestrings, 7 fourstrings and a double bass. My main five basses are a Musicman SR 5, a Haeussel Jazz 5 active, a 1964 Precision, a 1989 Warwick Streamer Stage and a Fenix Jazz Frettles. This are the bass guitars I touch during a week. The others are basses I don't play often, some just get some love when going to the studio, maybe because because of the oldschool sound they have.

So I for myself am a happy camper. ;)

20. +1. Yeah, I’m very happy too. But, I can’t say I never get GAS anymore, or don’t buy any new stuff anymore either. ;)