1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hardcore/Screamo/Post-Hardcore Bassists

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by punkbass479, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Most of the bassists in these genres try to stick to the basics and follow the guitarists for the most part.
    I'm trying to develop my sound and technique, but I play this kind of music.
    Does anyone know of some bassists from these genres that actually does something other than root out following the rhythm guitar?
    Basically I'm looking for some inspiration, so if you know of a screamo band with a good bassist, please let me know.
    :confused:

2. erix

erix

Sep 24, 2005
    Washington DC
    The bassist from the Dead Kennedys was doing interesting things, not really hardcore though. I'm pretty sure there are some creative bassists playing this style, but I have no name in mind at the time being.

3. Mcfunkinstein

Mcfunkinstein

Jun 22, 2008
    cannibal corpse's bassist does a three finger galloping tech thats pretty sick,your mother says to go check that out

4. bhagiti

bhagiti

Mar 10, 2005
    NW Ohio
    Andrea Fiset in the early Arab on Radar lineup:

5. texasisthereasn

texasisthereasn

Mar 16, 2009
    joe lally of fugazi

6. bhagiti

bhagiti

Mar 10, 2005
    NW Ohio
    Lally - YES!!! And though not post-hardcore or screamo, Watt wrote book on creative and passionate hardcore bass playing. Check also any of the Black Flag bassists

7. Alcyon

Alcyon

Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Greg Weeks of The Red Chord is decent.

8. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Brian Cook - Botch / These Arms Are Snakes / Russian Circles.

If you're not knowin', I'm here to let you know :)

c-

9. What on earth is “Post Hardcore”?

the problem with labeling music genres is that everyone has an idea what defines what and NOONE really agrees...

Therefore, I say that Wolfgang Ammadeus Mozart was DEFINITELY Hardcore...and I challenge ANYONE to differ :p

10. itd be cool to take the techniques or grooves from a different style, and apply it to the hardcore mindset. its tough to do without becoming cheesy and campy, but just my two cents :smug:

look to dub for inspiration of this sorts. the dub trio absolutely rocks this combo. for reggae/dub, check out toots & the maytals, third world, and even some santogold stuff

11. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Manny Carrero of Glassjaw/Saves the Day and Tim Payne from Thursday are both cats who bring it. Great musicians..Manny's tone is legit. Check out Taking Back Sunday's stuff too; Matt Rubano and Shaun Cooper on bass.

12. The dude from Underoath does some pretty cool stuff, and he's usually WAY up in the mix. Also, I don't know if you've ever heard of Oh Sleeper, but they do some really interesting stuff, and the bass tone is killer.

13. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Joe Lally of Fugazi, Manny Carrero of Glassjaw/Saves the Day, Paul Hinojos of At the Drive In, Tomas Näslund of Blindside, Joe Prinicipe of Rise Against, Eddie Breckenridge of Thrice.... all these guys were huge influences on me and are amazing musicians.

14. vidastouch

vidastouch

Dec 25, 2008
    Rancid is a punk band with an awesmome bass player matt friedman rules

15. I totally agree. Manny's tone is awesome..heavy and crunchy as hell. My band has been covering Paris in Flames by Thursday for about 5 years now. I do the bass solo behind my head..but that's just me.

16. Linkert

Linkert Guest

Oct 24, 2006
    +1 on that!

But yea as someone else said, Rancid. I've only heard one or two songs because it's not what i usually listen to.
    What i heard was quite swingin'!

17. +1 on thrice and saves the day. completely forgot about them!

18. shades990

shades990

Apr 1, 2009
    I'm ineterested as well - can anyone please offer some specific songs with notable bass lines instead of only artist names? Thank you!

19. THIS is HARDCORE

20. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    At The Drive-in: "Quarantine" (Relationship of Command)
    GlassjAw: "Ape Dos Mil" (Worship & Tribute)
    These Arms Are Snakes: "Crazy Woman Dirty Train" (Easter)

Really, anything off those albums is great stuff.

c-