1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Have I pissed off Jim Bergantino?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwamiRob, Feb 26, 2008.

1. I emailed Jim the other night asking if it were possible for him to send some NV 10's to a cab builder so I could get a NV210 a-like made at some point in the future, or perhaps to have a box sent to him so he can seal whatever awesome speakers he builds/uses into it and I've had no reply.

I tried my best to be tactful in the email and not come across all rock and roll, assume it'd be fine and tell him where he'll be sending his 10's to but I dunno if the question might have been a little insulting in itself.

I know the guys busy so it could just be that, but I mailed him a couple of weeks ago now and am a little worried he'll track me down and put me on a blacklist meaning I can never have another cab off him again and infact he's sending someone round to 'collect' my NV215 off me.

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    And why can't he build it for you?

"Hey Roger Sadowsky, send me a body and pickups so I can have my Luthier build a bass that looks like one of yours"

See how that sounds?

3. He's got to understand that you're from Europe and Bergies aren't as prevalent there as they are here. If I were him I'd be honored that you would want someone to build a cab that sounded like one of his. I would be any way.

4. i agree.. thats rather rude and insulting haha

5. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

If it was me, I 'd tell you to fluff off. For sure. (No malice intended, of course...) ;)

The parts and designs are proprietary. Just design and build
    your own, that should take care of it.

6. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    It seems like you're already aware of the 2 possibilities I thought of myself.

He could indeed just be busy.

But in the event that you did piss him off, I honestly could understand why he would be. But then again even if I don't personally know him I'm sure the man is professional enough to handle that without taking it personally and also to recognize that it is still a potential sale for him even if they are just the speakers and not the full cab.
    Or it could be a business decision to sell products as a full unit.

If you don't mind, may I ask why you would want someone else to build a Bergantino-like cab and not just buy Bergantino?

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    this is a joke, right?

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Or you could simply try building one of Bill Fitzmaurice's cabs from his plans. Lots of good stuff said about Bill on this forum. You could build an Omni 10 for less than you could buy a new high end cab.

Just a thought...

9. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I can't answer for Mr. Bergantino ...

But when we do speakers it's complete product, so I would never just send a box out, or a speaker either for that matter.

There are companies that do I guess but it's like the discussions you see here all the time on parts basses ... a Warmoth is not a Fender.

:meh: ... A Berg is not a DIY product neither is my MOjO Sonic for that matter.

10. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    Purely speculative but I doubt he is angry about it. I think the answer would probably be no and the reason because the driver specs wont work for a random size box.

11. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification

...and thank goodness for that!:bag:

12. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Do you realise the NV-10" drivers are 24 ohm?
    This means depending on how its wired up (series/parallel) your gonna end up with either a 48 or 12 ohm cab....

13. I emailed him re my NV610's casters both breaking & to get some NEW ones late last year up until JAn. this year, & had NO reply to 3 emails! :-( George at BASSGEARDIRECT.com -VERY GOOD!!!!- is being the 'middle man' for me & some are on the way! BUT I was dissappointed- espesh. after hearing SO many good things re...

14. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    I can't speak for him but I believe he's a busy guy and that's probably why he has set up a dealer network so he doesn't have to deal with this kind of stuff.

It's not like a custom builder where there's lots of options. You can either buy one of his cabs from a dealer or not.

I'd suggest you consider an AE210. Awesome cab and lightweight so you'll save on shipping.

15. 's what I thought.but still after hearing all the GREAT reviews of his customer service............................

16. He probably takes a fair bit of pride in what he does, seeming though he does such an awesome job of building cabs I can't see why he wouldn't do.

Anyway can you really not think of any situation like this where you'd be insulted? If someone came up to our band and asked if they could use our music in a NME advert or something, I think we'd all be pretty offended that they'd even think there might be a remote possibility we'd promote that kinda thing by giving them one of our songs. Not the best example but you see what I'm getting at.

Good point about the impedance though, bugger. I'd really like an NV210 just because it'd match up nicely with the NV215 I recon, and I'm a big girl and it'd look pretty if they matched. Not really bothered about weight though, could do with the exercise anyway.

17. Sahm

Sahm

Dec 18, 2007
    Delaware, OH
    Wow! I can't imagine asking a manufacturer for assistance in building a knock-off of their stuff, then publicy airing the fact that they didn't respond!

18. Dang. Are you sure the e-mails went through? I needed a caster and dropped an e-mail late at night asking how much it would cost. I got a reply the next morning asking for my shipping address and that there was no charge. At my door within three days. A+ customer service in my case. Did you try a phone call?

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    /thread

:)

20. ahahahahah cheers