Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Have you named your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    Have you named your bass? If so what is your basses name? :D :bassist:

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Cielo - italian for sky, or heaven. (Spector)
    Fiore - italian for flower. (ESP)

Ray

3. no...i kind of think it's a dumb practice

4. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    My first bass was a black Squier P-Bass and I named it Tiffany after a really hot black girl I had a thing for. :)

I haven't had one with a name since, except for the custom fretless Hambone is building me, called the Jazzwick, though that's more of a one-off model name than a pet name or whatever.

Jake

5. My first bass was named POS - because it was!

My second bass (97 Fender P-Bass American Special Edition) was called Louise, after a girl I had a crush on (her middle name actually) when I bought it. I drove two and a half hours to pick up this bass, which was also the town she lived in. As soon as I picked it up, I drove to this girls flat to show her. She couldnt see why I was "so excited about a guitar?".

There was the tell tale sign there! Took me three more months to work it out, though. :eyebrow:

My MM Stingray 5 doesnt have a name - its referred to by my bandmates as "THE five string".

6. My yamaha is named pete, after Pete trewavas.

I have yet to come up eizh a name for my sx

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Over the years, my instruments have been given meaningful and emotive monikers such as "the fretless", "the blue one", "the Rickenbacker", "that black one", "the six string", and so on.

;)

8. am i feel deja vu here? or am i just psycic. I feel like someone is gonna come on later and talk about what stu hamm names his basses? call me crazy!

9. Brian D

Brian D

Dec 2, 2004
    Dublin, Ireland
    my bass is called slappy...

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ah, another from the Utility school of onomastics.

11. I just call them by their brand name, "pedulla" "fender" "esp"

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My first bass is Jerry, and my 5 string is Karl. I still don't have a name for my Brawley. Maybe Tony the Brawley?

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well...Heinz is called Heinz, and although at some point I must have decided to call him that, it seems like he named himself.

[​IMG]

The only other one that has a name is Ed, the green Bongo fiver. And Ed is (a) based on Ltd Ed Finish, and (b) is much easier to say than "the Envy Green Bongo Double Humbucker Fiver".

14. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Bessie and Bruno.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

16. i call my first bass "hood" because it is red and makes me think of little red riding hood

17. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    My Samick 6-string is named Lina. I had originally named her Devilina because she's curvy, sexy, has a transparent red finish, and every time I pick her up she won't let me put her down. I shortened her name from Devilina to Lina and I like it better; the name's now more "class" than "crass" and subtle like her. See, most people are initially "ehhh" about my Samick bass, but once they actually play it, they're like "Whoa! That's a niiiice bass! And really fun to play!"

My junky Ibanez 5-string was named Sonja. Not sure why.

My first bass, an Ibanez 4-string, was named Charlotte. Not sure why.

18. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Kirstey Alley, because she's got a big bottom.

19. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i usually do, but in the last 14 months, i havn't thought of a name that really works for my TRB
    [​IMG]

ideas?
    -Marty

20. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

First thought was stuby.