1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Head to use with avatar 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basscat125, May 22, 2011.

1. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    Hey,
    I am purchasing an avatar 4x10 eminence speaker cab for 200Euro and was wojndering what haed to buy for it?
    Its my first cab so im inexpierienced but i know about the ohms and that sort of thing.
    Any tips and help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Basscat125

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I run a GK MB2-500 head into my two, 8 ohm, Avatar 210 Neo cabs...
    LOVE this rig!
    LOUD 'n' full, with more power than I've been able to use in a loud, 6 pcs., country/rock group.
    From what I've seen here at the T.B. forum, Avatar cabinets seem to work very well with just about every manufacturer's head.

3. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    Right but i dont understand are there certain heads I cant run through it? terms of ohm,wattage and that sort of thing.

4. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    Using Ashdown ABM w/ 2 B212's, very nice. IMHO

5. OlSkewl56

OlSkewl56

May 26, 2007
    South Texas
    what is the erating on your cab?

6. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    thanks but that still doesnt really answer my question.
    As I said before though all feedback is appreciated.

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I'm not aware of any manufacturers head that wouldn't be capable of driving your Avatar cabinet.
    My GK MB2-500 is...
    350 watts at 8 ohms. (One of my cabs.)
    500 watts at 4 ohms. (Both of my cabs.)
    With a total output of 580 watts at 4 ohms.
    The GK MB into my two 210 Avatars, (stacked as a vertical 410), sounds huge and full with lots of cut on a busy stage.

I've seen threads here on T.B. where players have matched Ashdown's, Ampeg tube or S.S., Genz Benz 6.0's...9.0's...Streamliner's...,Trace's, Peavey's, Hartke's, Gallien-Krueger 400RB's...MB 200's...500's...800RB's...700RB's...1001's, Fender's Rumble heads, Markbass LM II's...LM III's, and one player that was running his Walter Wood into a Avatar 210, ect., ect.

At one time you could buy through Avatar, Ashdown bass heads to power their bass cabs, at present your can get a Genz Benz 6.0 or 9.0 or Streamliner heads direct from Avatar.

How many cabs you can run with whatever head you decide on will depend on what the ohmage of your cabinet is.

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You Avatar is going to be 4 or 8 ohm... if it's 8 ohm, you can't use an Ampeg SVT (CL, VR, Heritage). Otherwise pretty much every solid state head and most tube amps will be OK with either one.

9. As long as the amp's ohm output matches the cab's ohm input, AND the amp's power output doesn't exceed the cab's rating, any head you want (and can afford) will work just fine.

You might want to think ahead a bit tho...if you eventually want to have two cabs, each cab should be rated for 8 ohms, since two 8 ohm cabs make a 4 ohm load in total.

10. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    its 8ohm.
    so I can use anything but ampeg right?
    thanks guys help much appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Basscat125

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You can use it with almost all Ampeg amps, just not the SVT-CL, SVT-VR and Heritage SVT.

12. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    If you went with Ampeg's new solid state PF 500 head you'd get 300 watts output with your 8 ohm cab.
    Later, if you need more coverage and volume you could add another 8 ohm 410 and get the heads full 500 watts.
    If you want this heads full out-put with one cab you'll have to go with a 4 ohm cabinet.

The Ampeg SVT CL, VR, and SVT Heritage is set-up for 4 ohm or 2 ohm operation.
    With a CL you'll have to have "two" 8 ohm cabinets or "one" 4 ohm cabinet for it's 4 ohm load, or "four" 8 ohm cabinets or "two" 4 ohm cabinets for it's 2 ohm load.

13. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    get an Eden WT series head....sounds so sweet with my Avatar cab.

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1...

I forgot in my list above how great Eden heads sound with Avatars...and I had a WT550 for awhile. (It was stolen. :crying:)

15. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I don't know if you want opinions on what is the best head to use with an Avavtar in terms of tone because that is totaly subjective and you will get 100 different opinions and it won't be very helpful.

I think what you are asking is this:

It doesn't mattter what head you run through it. The wattage of the heads output will be based on the ohm rating of your cabinet.

If your cabinet is 8 ohm and it rated at 1000 watts then theoreticly you can put a 1000 watts into the cabinet safely it will perform the way it was designed to perform. The problem here is that you never really know how the mfg. came up with that number. I really don't worry too much about that rated number. Also there are always exceptions to everything.

If you look at the output rating of the head it will usually have a max advertised output @ 4 ohms however there are some heads rated to go to 2ohms for their max output. Carvin and Peavey come to mind. If your cabinet is an 8 ohm cabinet then the actual output of the head will be about half of the advertised maximum output. There are some exceptions to this with solid state heads and that lower output may vary a bit but it will be around 50 to 60 percent lower then the output @ 4 ohms. An all tube head that will put out the same wattage at 16, 8 and 4 ohms. You just need to tell the head what ohm load its hooking up to by setting the switch on the back of it. You just don't want to overpower the cabinet by using a head that puts out significantly more wattage than the cabinet was deisgned for. This means if you hook up up a head that puts out 700 watts at 8 ohms to an 8 ohm cabinet thats rated at 300 watts. You could potentially have a problem and melt the voice coil, over extend the driver etc.

So again. It doesn't matter what head you use. The 4x10 Avatars are rated at 1000 watts. Very few amps on the market put out 1000 watts @ 8 ohms. So don't worry too much and pick a head that sounds good to you and go play.

16. Basscat125

Basscat125

Aug 3, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    none yet
    thanks srx player exactly the advice i was hoping for.
    you clear up all the doubts i had

17. hyp.spec

hyp.spec Supporting Member

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    GK 700rb-II or 1001rb-II!