1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Health Issues?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by MrBassman17, May 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    I play bass in a duo/trio project, as well as in a 4 piece blues band, which shares the same guitar player. We don't gig very often, and rehearsals are weekly. The guitar player, a talented, if 'eccentric' individual, is not in good health. Without going into the details, his issues are something that can be dealt with successfully, if not easily under the care of 'traditional' medical care. In the last two months, he has caused the interruption of rehearsals and the (second) rescheduling of a club date. We have several on the books for June, but I have serious concerns for his reliability.
    Heres the problem : He is not choosing to deal with his health issues! I had to go to the ER at a local hospital, where he was admitted in bad pain because of his stubbornness/denial of his condition. Instead of following the advice of the doctor and urologist he saw, he is choosing to go to a nutritionist and someone who performed a 'biometric scan' and gave him a crystal to wear!
    Now, I really don't care what someone chooses to do to treat their own health issues, but when it affects others (me), then I do care. I have recommended replacing him in the blues band, and have 'cooled off' relations with him on the acoustic project.
    What more can I do? I like playing with him, we have been together for a few years now, but, because of his medical condition(s), he is not getting any gigs at venues he had been, and so we're not playing out!

2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    Get a backup on board if you can.

JRA likes this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Let him know that when he's got his health condition under control you'll be happy to gig with him again.

Until then, find a replacement.

MrBassman17 likes this.
  4. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    That's pretty much what I'm doing.