1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help identifying vintage electronics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aharon, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    Hello all,

I own a gibson ripper which could possibly be having problems regarding its output / tone. Problem was noticed after comparing two recordings with identical gear and settings and hearing wildly different results, almost to the extent that is does not sound like the same instrument. There is a noticable loss of warm gain and low end and the sound is generally quite a lot less "colored".

There is a chance it is the amplifier (possible preamp tube/ input gain circutry issues. amp is an svt 4 pro) but I am curious as to whether anything in the bass guitar itself could produce such dramatic change in EQ and output.

I am specifically concerned about several "unidentified" components in the bass's electronics.

53mwaq.

I am particularly clueless as to what the large cylinder-shaped component is which has a hex bolt on one end and is shielded with a layer of black tape.

Any help identifying these electronics and potential issues regarding the problem would be much appreciated.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the bolted thing is an inductor of some sort (a coil of wire around a core, it resists high end going through it); used with the other things you see, capacitors (which block low end from going through them), it can form "filters" to do things like scoop out midrange.

if the controls still work the same, i'd suspect the amp first.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Yep, that's an inductor. Along with the little blue cap, it's part of the midrange control on the Ripper which notches out the mids. The larger orange cap is the regular treble cut tone control.

I'd try another amp and see. Things can't just change on the bass like that.

4. Aharon

Aharon

Jan 23, 2008
    thankyou for the swift and informative replies. fortunately there is an authorized ampeg repair shop in my hometown and I will take the amp there for a service.

I will also measure the DC resistence of the pickups for peace of mind. I know the ripper is quite a low-output bass but I just want to make sure its giving a reading that matches seymour duncans (original pups died on me several years ago)

the bass is not driving the preamp at all even with the gain rolled all the way up the clipping light only comes on during the med/heavy strokes. any further suggestions welcome.