1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help! Looking for the right bass-fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fuzzspiral, Dec 8, 2018.

1. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Hi! Summary: I play bass and I'm obsessed with fuzz pedals. I found out that I like the sound of the germanium. I came with a couple of options: Earthquake Devices Hoof and the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, by Small Sound big Sound. Now, the problem is that I live in a small town in Italy and I just can't find them anywhere to try before buying. Can anyone help me? Do you have experience with these two pedals? Other advices before wasting money? Thank you
    P.S. considering shipping costs the price, more or less, is the same

Frodolicious and 2010P like this.
  2. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Check out the Black Arts Pharoah fuzz too. It has a germanium/silicon switch. And it's my favorite germanium fuzz on that setting

HolmeBass likes this.
  3. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Hi! Thanks! I've already taken in consideration but it seems similar to a muff (at least from youtube...). I already have the Green Russian Reissue

4. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    Be prepared to get dozens of answers all of which are going to be the individual posters personal opinions and most of which will ignore your post. This is why I think posts like this are sort of pointless. But I'll bite anyway, get the Smallsound Buzz. Big low end and switchable GE/SI switch. I prefer the silicon side.

juggahnaught and fuzzspiral like this.
  5. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

The Hoof is based on the Muff too.

I've never tried it, but the Team Awesome Fuzz Machine has a reputation for versatility.

HolmeBass likes this.
  6. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Buzzz also sounds good...and the "shag Overdrive" also form Smallsound? Sounds badass

7. Frodolicious

Frodolicious

May 29, 2018
    Omaha, NE
    I love the sound of Germanium fuzzes too, and the ones you posted are great options! I've been with using Amptweaker Bass tight Fuzz for about 1 year, and it's a favorite of mine.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have several pedals. The only one I ever bought new was the TAFM. It was well worth it. It has just about every fuzz you can get your head around in one pedal.

I bought after reading dozens of great reviews here at TalkBass.

And welcome to TalkBass @fuzzspiral !!!!!!

HolmeBass likes this.
  9. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you very much to all. @two fingers how is it the clean blend control? I'm not a big fan of the blend "concept". I tried the big muff deluxe and mxr deluxe fuzz with the blend but in both cases there was the clean tone and some fuzz "behind" it, two parallel sounds, not well integrated each other...is it just me? How is on the team awesome?

(thanks for the welcome :) )

10. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    TAFM is definitely my favorite fuzz. It has an ‘oomph’ to it that the many other fuzzes I have and have tried, do not. Independent Fuzz and ‘Clean’ volumes work beautifully on this one to make a great consolidated roar. The Mini is great as well - guess I like the SS/BS concept of drive.

fuzzspiral likes this.
  11. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    I have my sights set on the new EHX Sovtek Deluxe. Fingers crossed it'll be great.

Erik herman likes this.
  12. fuzzspiral

fuzzspiral

Dec 8, 2018
    Italy
    Yes, the mini seems a possible choice as a drive, also (my EBS multidrive has done its time, I suppose)

13. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    0DBBBA74-7EB4-4321-A4EA-66D5256BE09C.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Had a TAFM, was terrific, wished it was smaller and only had the fuzz circuit with no gating, gave it to my friend Silver from Winny Puhh, the greatest band ever, and he's been digging it a lot, so he says :D But I'd totally get another one if he makes it smaller without the gate.

15. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    TAFM is a fantastic pedal.
    Gain & Fuzz control. Clean blend. Mid boost switch. Gives you plenty of control and zero bottom end loss.
    A second footswitch gives you a gated fuzz too.

I live in Australia, you can't buy them in shops, and after searching for a while I saw this demo and ordered one immediately.

16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I have an early TAFM without a gate but with bias/starve knob which makes it more like the Mini, and it doesn't need a gate.... if all else is the same, the "clean" side adds grit and lots of Low End which is why people say it has oomph, it Pushes or SLAMS could be said as well. Into a compressor with attack time control, it can be a sledge hammer. And the fuzz CUTS whereas muffs might not. (my favorite muff is the Black Arts Pharaoh) (Favorite superfuzz, the Buzzz or Attack Goat.) An MXR Delux Fuzz rules another board for extreme fuzz.

17. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    I’m a huge fan of the hoof. I got the cloven hoof as a gift from my wife for Christmas 2015 and it been one of the only constants on my board. The shift knob is hugely helpful in dense mixes. I’ve also had the regular hoof and may like it a tad more, but since the cloven was a gift I must reinforce that behavior by using it haha. No experience with the TAFM, but it seems universally loved and is a a pretty safe bet too.

18. I would stay away from the hoof if you have the Russian muff reissue, I have the Russian muff and I have had the Hoof, it’s no doubt a good pedal but it’s redundant with the Russian, very similar

19. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    FWIW, EHX hazza Germanium OD, and Malekko makes a Germanium version of the B:assmaster. (I've not tried either but someday I might buy 'em if I see a good price.)

20. Maynjo

Maynjo Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Jacksonville, NC
    So I've been near and far with bass dirt. The one I always come back to is the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe. Nothing else is as clean and dirty at the same time.