Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Help me build a Matt Sharp sig 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Oct 15, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Okay,

It dawned on me last night that Matt Sharp (Weezer, the Rentals, solo) is probably my biggest influence. I really dig his playing... simple, yet perfect for the song. Anyway, I dig the J bass he played with both bands, but since I'm a 5 string junkie, I decided I want to make a MS sig 5. I figure that I can get all the parts from Warmoth, especially the neck since that's where his Tele bass neck came from, supposedly. Does anyone have somewhat detailed pics as to what the bass looked like, and any info as to what pups he had and such? Any and all help with this would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I really dig Matt Sharp too, unfortunatley I haven't a clue what his bass was like and can't find any decent pics :(.

3. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Went to mattsharp.net to see if I could find anything, but all I found was that he may have had Schecter pups... interesting...

4. deluxeg

deluxeg

May 5, 2001
    From the Weezer DVD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Thanks!

I can't quite tell- is there a tone knob? I see 2 white knobs, obviously both volume, but I can't tell if there's a chrome tone knob or none at all.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Theres just a plain tone pot w/o knob...

7. I saw him perform earlier this year when he was touring with Goldenboy, and when he wasn't playing guitar (a bass traitor! ;) ) he used that black bass. Brian Bos of Goldenboy referred to it as the "road warrior," and it's way more beat up now than in those photos. Interestingly enough, it was actually Matt's birthday the day I saw him (at Eugene's own WOW hall). Couldn't quite make out the pickup manufacturers, though I was about 3-5 feet away from him (not many people showed up, it was pretty "intimate"). So if you want to make a Matt Sharpe sig, I would suggest putting some wear into it.

8. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    On the Weezer site it says he just used some Schecter pickups.

9. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Well, I was going to build this from scratch, but I have a 4 string SX jazz I hardly ever use.... I think I'll convert it.... I'll post pic if I do this.... hmmmm.....

10. NicJimBass

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    ZOMBIE THREAD LIVES!

So, found some recent pics of the bass in question. I've read that he used Schecter Monstertone pickups, which are apparently rare. I'm thinking Rio Grande pickups, sans covers, would work well in their place. In these pics, he has a Schaller roller bridge, which is an easy find.

My only concern is the body. It looks as though he had a white/ cream body originally, and may have painted it flat black... but not well enough, as it's coming off. Thinking of getting a white body, and either painting it myself, or having someone paint then relic it. Thoughts?

Pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. UnDoNe

UnDoNe

Dec 6, 2002
    UK
    Another Zombie thread resurrection!!

I made a Matt Sharp backup bass (Lake Placid Blue one used with =w= and the rentals) a year or so ago, but finally sourced some Schecter Monstertones off here a few weeks back. I'm now thinking of making the black bass.

I believe the body is maybe 70's as it seems to have the 70's pickup spacing. Could be very late 60's, but I'm tempted to say 70's. Not sure about it being originally white/cream, then painted black. I always thought it was white primer underneath a black colour coat that had worn away from playing? Who knows!

The neck as well is proving difficult to source any info on. Looks like it;s maybe flame or birdseye maple with a rosewood or ebony board. I've asked this in the luthiers section and unofficialwarmoth.com but got pretty much 50/50 for both!

Good luck if you do this. Not sure if Monstertones ever came in a 5 string version, but I had some Rio Grandes' a while back and they look pretty much the same as Monstertones. Sound good too!