Help me! I'm a Fender guy but I'm wanting a RIC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Nov 21, 2015.

Tags:
  1. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

Guys, please help me! I woke up this morning with the most intense urge to go find myself a Ric. I'm about to jump in my car and drive a couple of hours up to Austin and look at a Fireglo 4003 they've got hanging.

Why am I doing this? Can anyone tell me why I shouldn't do this? $2k at stake here, but I'm feeling drawn like a magnet and I don't know why. Ive traditionally been most comfortable with Fender Ps, Js, G&L JBs.

Any words of wisdom one way or the other would be appreciated. It'll take me two or three hours to get there, so I was sort of hoping you guys could pile on and help me to either accept or reject my temporary insanity.

woodyng2 likes this.
  2. You don't really want a ric.

3. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    I've been playing Fenders for years now but have always missed the Ric I used to have. If I still had it, I wouldn't be taking to all my gigs, but I'd appreciate it more now that I did back in the day.

The main thing - IMHO - is don't expect the Ric to do what the Fenders do. Ric has it's own, unique voice and it's wonderful in the right contexts. If you can spare the $ and you're wanting a new avenue to explore with the low end, I say "Go for it!".

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    if you want some retail therapy buy stocks!

Pentatonic likes this.
  5. foolforthecity

Got a bunch. But I don't have a Ric.

pacojas likes this.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

If you have played comfy Fenders for your entire life, chances are you will want to drop the Ric minutes after taking it.

Liam Wald, Camaro, KimGT99 and 10 others like this.
  7. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Surrender to the call and see what happens. Maybe there's a song that bass thinks you need to know or something similarly arcane afoot here.

Pyrat, Humbled, blindrabbit and 5 others like this.
  8. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Don't pay $2k. $1650 - $1750 even at The Big Boxes.

GregC, Ric5, TJH3113 and 4 others like this.
  9. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I play both Fenders and Rics and wouldn't have it any other way. Here's my '83.... ;-)

new_zpshv9p89lc.jpg

IngloriousOz, MCF, Spectrum and 4 others like this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    ....Of course what is a couple hundred bucks in the wash? And what if tomorrow never comes?

Get in the car... Get in the car...

newyorkcityhypnosisphoto.jpg

IngloriousOz, pcake, jj4001 and 7 others like this.
  11. foolforthecity

thanks - I'm good at valuing Fenders and G&Ls, but no background and no real experience with Rickenbacker, so maybe I need to cool my engines in terms of buying this one today but maybe just sit down with it for awhile and see how I feel per Jazz Ad's earlier comment.

Freez and Ballin'bass like this.
  12. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Wish I could help. Lifelong Fender guy myself, but always loved Rics. A nice 4001 or 4003 is maybe The One bass perennialy on my GAS list. For decades. Only ever owned a copy, which got stolen.

Nothing like them, though I get why some people don't care for them.

You got this part covered, but a Ric is one instrument you definitely wanna play before you buy, IMO, just because there's such variance in necks, etc...

13. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    It's pretty easy to like both . I'm an old Pbass guy but I love a nice Ric .

REMBO, GesusBass and rockinrayduke like this.
  14. foolforthecity

You're killing me, Smalls - I can see my car beckoning only 50 feet away from my front door.

15. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Coming from Fenders you may find the ergonomic concessions (or the lack thereof) on a Ric hard to adjust to, but the tone is King. If you have the scratch, buy it. One nice thing about Rics, is if its not for you, you can sell it for nearly what you paid for it, they have great resale value. If you shop around, should be able to get one for $1600-1,800, nobody is paying $2k for them right now. Check out the 4003s model too, more comfortable to play with no binding and a little less money. Pick of the Rics and Wildwood guitars come highly recommended as vendors. They may be higher than GC, but they pre-inspect each instrument before shipping. If you are buying in store, ask to play a couple and get the most flawless one you can find. Their QC has been a little spotty, and you do NOT want to deal with Ric CS if you can avoid it. Good luck, just buy it, you literally have nothing to lose except the gas money and time to take the drive.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  16. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

You won't even be interested in those 4003 models if you try a 4004.

17. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Nothing like buying a new bass on a Saturday.

Saturday.

Saturday.

Bass.

Buying.

maxresdefault-1.jpg

blastoff, pcake, jj4001 and 6 others like this.
  18. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    +1 contact Chicago Music Exchange those folks are ready to deal I just inquired about a Ric yesterday and I already have three emails about getting me a great deal also Wildwood Guitars is a great source as well as Pick Of the Rics.

Mantis Tobaggan and dalahorse like this.
  19. foolforthecity

Sweet Jebus! I'm being drawn into the vortex

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021