1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Help: My Eden WT-550 is making "crackling" noises

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Taustin Powers, Mar 22, 2016.

Tags:
  1. My Eden WT-550 is starting to act up. It will sound just fine for a while, then all of a sudden, I get some crackling sounds out of the speaker, along with the normal bass signal. It's not quite static, it kind of sounds like the dry pops of a fire place that's throwing sparks, or a geiger counter or something. It's nothing in my signal chain, cause the amp will even do it when I remove the input cable. I haven't found a confirmed way to influence this behavior... At times it seems that turning the master volume knob rapidly a few times will get rid of it, but then it will come back a few minutes later and be immune to that treatment. Turning the input level to zero has no effect, it will only go silent when I turn down the output level.

I replaced the tube, no difference.

Any idea what could cause this?

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Failed or dirty volume potentiometer? Maybe if failed it's pretty old. It doesn't really sound like dirty from the description. Is it rhythmic?

My one and only failing tube amp (stereo) was similar and a long time ago, but the volume ramped up to full go soon after it would start. Parents hated it. It got loud and speakers were scared. Replacement tube also failed to resolve. I could see fireworks in the tube that was under attack by whatever failed. So maybe you can look at the tube when it's noisy.

3. It's not rhythmic, it's rather erratic, sometimes in really short intervals so it almost sounds like static, but not quite.

I'll remove the top of the amp and watch the tube at next practice.

4. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

One thing you can try, is to clean "all" the Jacks and pots with an electrical parts /contact cleaner like Deoxit. Spray some into all the jacks, front and back and then work a 1/4" plug in and out 10 times. (You can also use a Qtip) this will help make sure there is no built up gunk messing with the signal path through them. Make sure you do all of them. While the top is off, do the pots too. Get some Deoxit inside them and work them back and forth.
    The sound you are describing sounds like tube noise from what I've read over on the Eden forum (my WT400 makes a noise like this on start up only and then is silent after and works fine).
    You might pose this question over there too for more advice.
    I am assuming you swapped with another new tube? Do you have another one?

Munjibunga, SNCpre, Matthijs and 5 others like this.
  5. Tube replacement is actually the first thing I tried. I was almost sure that would be the culprit, cause I've had the amp for quite a few years and never messed with it.

6. Lowendtech

Is the tube you tried a new one? (Even if it is, I'm not sure that's a guarantee that it's good too).
    The cleaning is usually recommended as a course of action anytime there are issues. Some guys do it annually as a maintenance item.

7. Yes, new tube right out of the box, straight from the store. It would have to be very bad luck to receive a new tube that has the exact same fault as the old one... ;)

Lowendtech likes this.
  8. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Deoxit is the gold standard here in the US. You want plastic safe non-lubricating cleaner. Spray goes everywhere... Best to apply lubricant after cleaning in liquid form only if required. I think I would go after the volume pot first with deoxit if you can get it. Squirt, rotate the knob 5 or ten times, repeat and let dry before testing.

9. I'll have to check if I can get this here in Germany, or what the respective equivalent would be. :)

10. Lowendtech

Yep. It would be. Hence my cleaning thought. If that doesn't work, try the Eden forum. There's a couple of pretty knowledgeable guys over there. Hopefully it's not tech time. (My WT800 is in tech time right now so I feel for you).

11. Lowendtech

Oh hey. Now that I see you're in Germany, you need to talk to Armin. He's really good with Eden stuff. He's in Germany and is the tech guy on the Eden forum.

12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Edit:^^^That! Having an expert you can reach nullifies all that has been said :D

If someone else from Germany doest answer on what cleaner you can get maybe check german audio forums or big international forums like audio karma. A call to audio or instrument repair shop should yeild an answer.

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I owned a WT400 for 10 + years. The controls are prone to dust.
    Popping crackle sound was evident on Gain & Master.
    Lowendtech is right. Do what he recommends.
    Also, run the controls front & back by sweeping the full range
    of each pot on a regular basis (with amp off).
    That was my best fix. Seems to be a quirky thing with the Eden heads
    but they are great sound & quality.
    I miss mine.

14. Do you know the sound an amplified bass can make when near cell phones, computers, etc? There's a chance your problem is just interference from one of these devices, based on your description of the sound.

Examples I encounter most often:
    - When the mail client on a smartphone is downloading the latest email
    - When my fingers are on the computer's trackpad

Another possibility - try the amp with a power conditioner/filter.

Just some things to consider before visiting a tech.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    monsterthompson likes this.
  15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

If your amp has an effects loop try linking the send and return with a signal cable to see if that helps.

Rip Van Dan and Lowendtech like this.
  16. Dirty send and return jacks on an effects loop can even silence an amp.

17. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I have this same problem with my WT-500. I'll try the same solution that's suggested.

Lowendtech likes this.
  18. It's the stepped volume knobs. A common problem with Edens.

Contrary to whats been said here - for potentiometers you do want a lubricating cleaner.

19. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Those pots are very hard to access on the Eden WT amps. Make sure you get a "straw" when you buy whatever lube/cleaner you get. Even then it will be tricky to get to the pots.

Before cleaning the pots, I would try turning the amp off, and rotatating the controls fully numerious times, that usually works for me.

20. Mildew Jones

Mildew Jones

Dec 18, 2014
    I have a older Traveler 300, made these shorting out loud electrical pop sounds. A spring on the back of one of the pots had popped out and was intermittently touching something. If the Deoxit and cleaning don't help, see a tech, could be similar to my issue.
    Good Luck,
    MJ

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021