1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Help with finding a head!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Filip Burdon, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Bass player in https://www.facebook.com/TamamShodProg/
    I'm thinking about a head to a 410hlf cab.
    I play punk/grunge/stoner/psychodelic rock with pick and I like distorted bass and I use an Fender P bass.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    I heard some good stuff about GK 700rb and Ampeg SVT 4 pro.
    My only concern is, ain't tubes a bit pain in the ass sometimes(changing, breking down ect.? )

I would like my sound to be crunchy and agressive but also warm. I hate the kind of "dul", "clinical", "cold" sound of Hartke (Markbass could be, but I still have the felling that it lacks something).

So if someone could give me some advice about a head (and maybe a better cab then that 410 I mentioned) that I could also use for years and maybe buy an extra cab to make my rig bigger in the future.

Thanks for any suggestions :)

2. I know the HLF is tuned very low, but that isnt always a great thing as that low end can make the band mix muddy. A lot of people here really like the 410 HE. Sealed cab and by itself has less low end, but sounds much better in the mix for a lot of people.

If I was going to look at an Ampeg I would start with the 7 Pro. That said the next head I am really GASsing for is a Peavey VB-3, but I would settle for a VB-2 for a great price. I like all tube heads though.

3. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    Yhym.
    I'm actually looking more for an hybride or all solid state the all tube. I've earned some money know but I don't know that if somethin' happens I'll be able to change 12-14 tubes in an all tube amp.
    Having that said, I tried the 410HE with an SVT 450H and GK Fusion 550 and I purley hate that cab. I just lacks the low frequencys and I heard that 410HLF is a great stand alone cab.

So if anyone know warm "tuby" solid state amps I would love it, or if nyone have compared GK700rb-II with SVT 3 Pro or SVT 4 Pro.

Thanks for every opinion !!!

4. All that low end is bedroom tone. Turns to mud and is lost in a group mix.

The 7Pro is a hybrid head.

5. Filip Burdon

Filip Burdon

Jan 16, 2012
    Warsaw Poland
    But ain't it a bit to powerfull for a 500watt cab?
    It has 1000watts on 4 ohms and Ampegs 410 have 500?

6. This amp includes a volume knob :bag:

but seriously, you dont have to crank it all the way up. Just listen to your speakers and if they start to fart out then you can back off. This is also why I recommend an 8 Ohm 410 (like the HE410 if you want an ampeg cab). If you need more volume you can add a second one.

FWIW I have a ported cab that is tuned low. In a band mix I drop the low end off like crazy and let the low mids power through. This gets you definition in the mix.

7. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Yes. For me, there's simply no reason to not consider the SVT 7 Pro. It's one of the few hybrids that interests me.

8. Darkonar

Darkonar

Dec 14, 2011
    Chile
    Take a look at Orange heads, or consider an old all-tube guitar head ;)

9. I think that if you're looking for warm and tuby, you should definitely try the svt7 pro. I love my MB head but I really liked the tone of the svt7 when I tried it with an svt410 cab.

10. Imaginos

Imaginos

Jun 20, 2010
    This. As much as a really deep bassy tone can sound great by itself, it will get almost totally lost in the mix. The only way you'll be heard then is when you accidentally play out of key or something. :p I've been on too many gigs where the bassist rocks out but you can't really hear what's happening. Sound engineers probably hate me because I always take my time to make sure I stand out in the final mix. :D