Help with my singing

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Mar 7, 2005.

1. OK, I'm doing some backing singing for Feeder - Just A Day....when I sing it, my voice sounds really strained.....but if I don't strain I can't belt the ntoes out.....any ideas? :confused:
  2. 1. Change the key.

2. Change the harmony you are singing.

3. Stop singing.

QED. ;)
  3. How do I change the key? I seem to have two elevels....laid back and deep(but not rockish enough) singing from my stomach, or singing from my throat, but I sound like I have a blocked nose. I can sing, I've done it before, it's just my voice is failing me now :-(
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    change the key - if the chords are (say) A, D, E and the vox are at the top of your range then you could maybe sing an octave down. Or change the key, transpose the chords down to (in this case) G, C, D - this might it more comfortable for you.
    Again, just some examples.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's called puberty, young Nicholas.

brad cook
  6. Heh, my voice is actually pretty deep, and I went through all that squeaky voice crap ages ago lol. :oops:
  7. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In that case join a barbershop quartet.

brad cook
  8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    It's hard to concentrate and put the required effort into singing properly when you're playing bass at the same time. Proper singing involves a lot of control of your breathing and proper control of stomach muscles, the diaphragm and forming the words properly, as well as good pitching. Probably a good idea to practice the bass part until you can play it without thinking about it, then work on the vocal part until you can sing it properly without too much effort. Then try putting them together.

I've never been great at playing and singing at the same time, I can do one or the other well, but when I put them together they compromise each other. I'm working on it though... :)

Russ :bassist:
  9. Relax your shoulders!!!! If you tense them your whole posture goes out of wack and your voice goes haywire. Its very hard while holding/playing a bass.

Try practicing while sitting with a very relaxed posture (I know its opposit to the way you want to play..... Hope it helps.