1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Help with wiring my first bass build.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by seesilva, Mar 17, 2009.

1. seesilva

seesilva

Jan 28, 2009
    I have come to the end of the build and everything has come out quite well, and to my liking. I have finished the final assembly and and made all adjustments. After testing and playing for a few hours i noticed that the 2nd pickup and the volume/tone pots were also inactive. I figure that I have made a mistake in the wiring. This is my first build and I am not familiar with the wiring of a guitar either. so I am going to post the wiring diagram that I used and if anyone with knowledge of wiring has any input or suggestions on what I can do to fix this problem I would be grateful. I have come this far in the build and do not want to have to bring it to someone to fix a few wires that are in the wrong places. Here are some finished pics and the diagram. Thanks for all the help along the way.[​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG][​IMG][/URL] [​IMG][/IMG]

2. You are grounding the white wires on the pots?

Hmm.

3. seesilva

seesilva

Jan 28, 2009
    i visited a local repair shop and he steared me in the right direction. now both pickups are working and the tone pots are working fine. however the volume pots bothe have to be on for there to be any sound,if one is off then no sound. does this sound right?

4. EMGs have shielded leads, the ground surround the hot wire, and it is all enclosed in a usually white jacket. So this part looks ok. Personally I would wire it with 2 volumes and 1 tone, a la Jazz Bass.

5. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
  6. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    You need to switch your output wires with the pickup wires, so the pickups go to the wiper of each pot instead of the output.