Helpage--- Best metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ender21w, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ender21w

Ender21w Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    So im looking to upgrade. Playing on a beginner Ibanez but im getting a new bass for christmas and i need it for studio soon. My band is metal---best comparison to a well known band would be Trivium.

I really like the sound/look of the Schector Stilleto Elite 5, but I would love some other suggestions for a 5 string metal bass that is preferably $600 or less. Something that can growl alot would be nice. I play on a GK 700RB II head and Avatar 212 Cab if that helps any. Thanks for any thoughts.

2. permadave

permadave

Jul 20, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    I like the Schecters but other than that maybe a used Warwick Corvette standard or a Spector Euro Rebop. Those both sound pretty metal.

3. +1 and they do growl a lot.
    But if you're looking for a fuller tone I'd say go with the schecter but try it before because a lot of them have construction problems. But in any case, I suggest you not to buy a ESP LTD bass. They look good, but thats bout it IMO.

4. jsbass

jsbass Guest

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Jazz bass.

5. Ender21w

Ender21w Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    Yeah i played on the Shecters at the GC near me and they sound pretty good to me.

So ESP LTD's dont sound good? There is a local guitar store near me that carries alot of em, but i have never gotten around to trying them out.

6. Geezerman

Geezerman Guest

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL

and trivium ...yuck :p

7. Ender21w

Ender21w Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    Lol yuck to Trivium or yuck to Trivium on a Jazz bass?

8. orion7590

orion7590 Guest

Apr 22, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    I was pretty much in the same scenario that you're in. I wanted a Paolo Gregoletto tone and I wanted a 5 string. I went with the Elite-5 in sunburst. I was able to get the GC salesdude down to $530 on that bass, it's the lowest they'll go.

After getting it set up, that bass is great for metal and cutting through 2 distorted guitars.

9. Ender21w

Ender21w Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    Thats good to hear. Paolo has a great tone, but after playing on some of the BC Rich basses he uses, I figured he must have customized pickups or settings or something, cuz they dont naturally have a great metal sound (at least not the few ive been able to play on).

Also for any schecter owners, do you guys prefer the Elite 5 or the Custom 5? They sound pretty close to me.

10. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    +1:rolleyes:

11. I beg to differ on the ESP/LTD. I have been playing bass for about 26 years. For metal hands down ESP and Schecter. I just got a F255FM and this is the perfect metal bass with its 3 band eq. I will be installing Bartolini pickups for a little more warmth and thats it. Just had it set up and it rips!
    My nephew is in a Metal band and just got a B255. He loves it!

These 2 ESP basses sound better than my Schecter Stilleto Custom 5. I like that bass alot too.

There are also lots of other options as well. Be the two above are priced right and are good quality.

12. I agree. What did you mean by saying "But in any case, I suggest you not to buy a ESP LTD bass. They look good, but thats bout it IMO" Obviously you have NEVER played one. They ARE Good basses that play & sound GREAT.

13. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Check out some Ibanez basses. Often the older Prestige models sell for ~$400!

14. orion7590

orion7590 Guest

Apr 22, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    I felt like the tone of the Custom was a little dry compared to the Elite. And, the Elite is neck-through, so you have that.

15. Ibanez SRX series.

lowsound

16. Ender21w

Ender21w Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    So which would you guys say have the best growl for $600 or less--- Ibanez SRX, Schecter Elite 5, or ESP F255???

17. TK-421

TK-421

Jun 26, 2007
    Denver
    +1/2 I liked Ascendancy but I think they took the whole "next Metallica" title too seriously. The Crusade has it's riffs but 4 at least 4 guitar solos in each song? c'mon.

18. peaveyuser

peaveyuser Inactive

Oct 18, 2006
    Montreal,Canada
    You do realize that he might use effects and/or amp settings that give it a "metal" sound.

Pffft I'm old school get a p bass and play it through a muff:D

but Seriously, check out the Godin Freeway. God I love that bass, so much growl, sounds so good, and plays really well.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Freeway-4-4String-Bass?sku=511925

19. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    You could probably get a used Warwick Corvette for about that price.

Peace

-Benny

20. Ender21w

Ender21w Guest

Sep 18, 2006
    Sorry for not clarifying---Trivium PRE Crusade was good. Im tired of bands reaching a peak and then turning into Metallica. Bullet for my Valentine is about to do that with their release January and im more pissed off than you could imagine.

Now that thats through.....I looked into a used Warwick but cant find anything local, and i am trying to make this purchase by the 22nd so yeah