Hewlett-Packard - Noisy?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by twangchief, Jan 17, 2006.

1. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Does anyone use the newer HP media center PC for recording? Are they noisy as far as the case fans and power supply fans? There is some good deals now of these. I could use my Circuit City card for 0% interest for a year. :hyper:
  2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I bought a 3Ghz P4 HP desktop (model Pavilion a450n) about a year and a half ago. While noise was not a big consideration when I bought it, I have found it to be one of the quietest PCs of recent vintage. The power supply fan is nearly inaudible and the CPU fan is very quiet. My computer is not totally silent but I find the noise level acceptable, at or below the level of ambient noise in my house, and quiet enough that I can record and monitor music without being distracted..

I've never heard a quiet Dell--I think they use miniature jet turbines (or at least the same awful noisy fans Mesa/Boogie uses in the Walkabout ;) ) for cooling. It's quieter than the Gateways and Packard Bells I've been around, too.

The original 160G Seagate hard drive is very quiet. I added a second 200G Seagate drive which makes cycling noises for a few seconds every couple minutes. I dual boot in Linux and XP; I haven't bothered, but there are some acoustic control modes in Linux that I could try (but they would probably mess with I/O speeds, something I don't want for recording). While adding the second HD I was impressed with the internal layout and overall component quality of the HP.

You might want to go to the message board at www.tapeop.com to find out more about the noise of specific makes/models and what can be done to reduce noise. HTH.
  3. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The trick with these sorts of deals is to MAKE SURE you pay it off within that interest free period. Why? Because when that expires, the interest rate charged is unbelievably high.

You may already know that, but these sorts of deals rely on hooking people who haven't learnt that particular life lesson yet. I posted it for the benefit of those people.
  4. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA

Yep! I learned my lesson about that a few years ago when my ex-wife decided to tell me she bought something the previous year with one of those offers and was making only minimum payments. ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!:mad: