1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey Dingwall Players

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snowglo, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Snowglo

Snowglo Pro Aris et Focis Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    U.S. Military endorsement since 1984
    I have always been a big fan of P basses. Owned a couple, and for one reason or another have sold them all. I do however, have a sweet Fender seafoam green P/J body in transit…..a story for another time.

Anyway, the older I become the more I realize one bass is more than enough. Especially since my only gig is a straight forward rock-n-roll band. I’m very much considering becoming a one bass dude in the next couple years. A killer P is currently top of my “one bass and call it good” list. So, the last couple weeks I’ve been reading a lot about Dingwall’s Super P’s. Watching every YouTube video I can find. These basses appear to be “the” P bass to play. The tone, solely based on videos is exactly what I’m looking for. 1.65” nut width = perfect. Unfortunately, the nearest Dingwall dealer is 4+ hours away in Seattle. No way for me to try one of these baby’s out anytime soon.

I’ll get to the point; how difficult are the fanned frets to get used to? Also, it appears the overall width of the neck doesn’t increase much from nut to heel. Somewhat like a Rick. Which I absolutely love. Or, it’s an illusion caused by the fanned frets.

For those of you who own or have played a Super P, how do these compare to like boutique P’s?

Have to include this video….the tone, OMG!!!

2. Peter Lufrano

Peter Lufrano Blues. and nothing but the Blues. Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Berkeley, CA
    I had zero issue getting comfortable on my Dingwalls. It took maybe a couple hours to get to the point where I was not missing any notes. At this point I have no desire to pick up any of my standard fretted instruments.

static0verdrive likes this.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've only had Dingwall experience with their AB-1 model, but the angled frets aren't as intimidating as they look. It seems it would be a little easier to transition to a Super P from a regular bass because it doesn't have the extreme B string scale length that the AB-1 5 string does.

4. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    This is good to hear. Especially the part about never wanting to pick up a standard fretted bass.

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's stupidly easy to get used to.

When I got my first DW, an ABZ5, I'd been playing 4 strings almost exclusively for several years (I had flipped a couple of low quality 5's in that time span). I ripped it out of the box and instantly got to jamming. If you're not even making the transition from 4 to 5, then straight to fanned fret is going to be no big deal.

The quality is absolutely as good as Lull, Sadowsky, Fender CS, etc. Maybe even better, and instead of being made in the USA, they're built someplace even better... Canada.

wmmj, Andre678, musicmaan and 4 others like this.
  6. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun

7. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You won't even think twice when you pick up a Super P. It will put every other instrument in your collection to shame.

TonyP- likes this.
  8. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    You are really killing me now! Shame on you for igniting the GAS pains.

9. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Unless you play chords above the 12th fret, IME, you'll be totally cool with it within an hour or so, and if you close your eyes, the acclimation may be even quicker. The longer scale models are a different animal, though.

10. TheEmptyCell

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Trust me, I'd like to pick up all of the Super Ps in the classifieds. Luckily I don't have the cash right now.

Snowglo likes this.
  11. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    So sexy! Super P Fiesta Red.PNG

fender68 and Barbaric.Eric like this.
  12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I didn't like the AB1 5er I owned a few years back as I do play up high using chords, double stops, octaves, etc. and the B string was also too much for my small hands.

I also didn't like the passive setup I had. The active Dingwalls are much better sounding IMO.

Sheldon is a great guy to deal with and a fellow Canadian but fanned frets just weren't for me. I don't like shortscales either, so it is just personal preference.

13. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    I had a super p5
    best P I ever heard or played.
    your money is safe with one
    easy to play.

14. Snowglo

Nov 15, 2013
    Orygun
    Had?

15. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Bergantino-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    The Dingwall Super P's are as good or better than any other P bass I've played in every category.

I switch back and forth between my Dingwall's and Spector NS-2's regularly, little to no adjustment necessary, and the Dingwall necks are among the most stable and ergonomic in the industry.

You can find all of the Super P specs here: Dingwall Bass Specifications | Side by Side Comparison | Dingwall Guitars

Peter Lufrano likes this.
  16. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    yes had-
    I regret selling it for the record.

17. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    I play Sheldons basses 1 time a year LOL
    And that's at NAMM and I never had any issues.
    I had to make some adjustment to higher register cord work but that was it.

18. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I've had an ABZ-5 for a few years now. Lovelovelove it. I've had more problems adapting to the extra string than the fanned frets. Don't let the fanned frets scare you away from giving the Dingwall a go. Too bad you're in Oregon. If you were nearish Atlanta, I'd let you try mine out.

19. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Where are you? I'm an hour east of Portland. I've got both AB-1s and Super J's.

Pm me if you want a demo.

static0verdrive and Snowglo like this.
  20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Are you contemplating a 4 or 5-string? I've only tried a couple 4-strings and they felt really easy to play and were really nice. I have 5-strings and I like them a lot. Like others have mentioned, the only difficulty with fanned frets is playing chords above the 12th fret. I don't play chords and don't often venture up high on the fretboard, so that's not a problem for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021