1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey yeah ***?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Yngwie 4String, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Yngwie 4String

Yngwie 4String Banned

May 3, 2007
    Auburn Nebraska

All Im saying is I think the dude got shafted.

2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Actually, from what I understand, the makers of this game have shafted a number of musicians.

Like so many who surround music, they have shown themselves to be utter pigs, making millions on the back of musicians, while shafting them.

3. Who?

4. My BFF Jill.

5. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    It never changes

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    I have to check with some who gives a crap about the game (I do not) to verify...but I THINK it was Foghat. They even came out publicly and said that friends of the band had called to say that they had heard THEIR perfomances in the game, and were rather surprised. Upon inspection, it became obvious what had really happened.

The producers of the game apparently payed people to re-record their tracks, in order to circumvent having to pay ANYTHING to the band for their "performance".

I have to check my facts, though...however, while I may be wrong about the artists affected (it might not have been Foghat, but I think it was), I am not wrong about the methodology used to rape them. Apparently, they re-did a lot of the tracks in the game, using 3rd party musicians in order to avoid having to pay people directly. SCAM.

Apparently, in some cases, they just paid royalties for the use of the song, but re-recorded the performances EXACTLY, ripping off the most subtle nuances that make a performance unique to a band or artist.

In this way, it's no different than the famous case where Bette Midler sued Ford for having a "ringer" perform her music, thus leading anyone listening to the commercial to believe she had "sold out" to Ford.

It's one thing to re-do a song, it's another thing to take it to the level of IMPOSTER, and THAT, according to CASE LAW, is ILLEGAL.

Technicalities of LAW have apparently not stopped the greedy makers of this game, however. Apparently the millions they're making shouldn't be shared with the artists that made it all possible...in THEIR opinions.

Such as it is with the opinons of effing PIGS in the music biz.

It's never anything positive or kind to musicians...funny that, no? Few industries rape the very font of all that IS the industry like music.

Sickening. It was VERY hard to type this post and remain within the posting guidelines of this site.

:spit:

7. someone in the music industry being shafted? Say it aint so!

8. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    This is what's been happening with games for a long time. Look up the first GTAs. They already featured a few well-known cars, and to avoid additional costs the names were changed. It's a lot more obvious with modern 3D models, but even today it's still accepted. Even Gran Turismo has a few getarounds with car brands that would refuse their presence in the game. The developper asked tuning crews specialized in the reticent brands and featured the said crews instead.

The same thing can happen to musicians, fishermans, wrestlers, etc. It's part of the business game.

As with being a shafted musician, I'd rather simply be a shafted one than an angry shafted one. :)

9. worst

thread

ever

10. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    Cover%20-%20Impossible%20to%20fail.

11. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    From the related videos:

ROFLMFAO!

12. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Abbath wears a thong....

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Odd comment. Don't know what to make of it.

It's sad thread, to be sure...but it's a valid commentary on the music biz, nonetheless...and the rather sad realities therein.

I take it you're not a professional?

See, musicians getting screwed outta money matters when you do it for a living...

:meh:

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Who the hell is Abbath?
    By the sounds of it, he needs a bath.

15. By the looks of it he needs to keep out him mummys makeup

17. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    These are hilarious!

19. falstro

falstro Good Bassists Don't Forget Anything

You guys are cracking me up! :D
    I actually tried to listen through one of their songs on youtube and couldn't manage it.:spit:
    Love the parodies though!:hyper:

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    LMAO. :D

Benny Hill.