1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

High action on A string?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joshua Phelps, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    I have a pretty good bit of jbass fenders & do all my own setups, I've noticed on ever bass you have to put the a string action the highest to get the buzz out. Why is this? I know you are matching the radius of the board but it seems like it would be lower.

2. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Are you judging this by feel, visual assessment of the bridge saddle profile, or by pocket rule at the 12th fret on all 4 strings?

Riis

3. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    The actual physical height of the saddle itself. Makes sense it's always the highest since just after A is where the radius drops so then E is lower even know its a much thicker string.

4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The only thing that is important regarding saddle adjustment is the string height. The physical height of the saddle is meaningless.

5. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sounds like a near-normal saddle profile to me. All you need to do is verify relief and individual string height. You'll probably find you're closer than you think. Case in point: dropping and addt'l .002" of relief into a good set-up can sometimes make it a great set-up.

Riis

6. Joshua Phelps

Joshua Phelps

Feb 22, 2011
    Memphis
    Yep, def normal. When I do a setup I go by the book on truss relief & nut slot height but wen it comes to saddle height I go as low as possible without any buzzing not sure if that plays into what I'm seeing. Also for the record these basses play super fast with very low action. No buzzing, mushy action or fret buzz.

7. Zooberwerx

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If you pulled this off as above, you're way ahead in the game. Don't mess with success!

Riis