History lesson - Thunderfunk/SWR/Eden, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Damn. Now I wanna know about the Berg/Epifani thing.

I was not aware there was soap opera. You should PM me what's up with that.

Brendan-

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    a bump on a great thread ...

( and hoping someone outlines the berg/epi issue! lookin for some soap opera dirt!!! SORRY!!!)

3. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK

Deciding that he wanted to offer cabinets as well as amplifiers, Rabe commissioned David Nordschow of Eden Electronics to make speaker cabinets for SWR. Up to that point Eden had been making PA speakers. Depending upon who you listen to, the development of the original goliath 4x10 + tweeter cabinet has a couple of versions. Eden claims that SWR wanted a two way cabinet (presumably a 15+horn) and David sent SWR the 410T as an afterthought, wanting to know what they thought of it. The other story is that Steve Rabe and David Nordschow collaborated on the design. In any event, Eden made cabinets for SWR for a while until SWR opted to make its own, presumably due to quality control concerns. The split was not entirely peaceful, but wasn’t quite up to the soap opera status of the rift between Nick Epifani and Jim Bergantino. After many years, Steve Rabe left SWR to found Raven labs, and subsequently retired.

I know this is an older post but what i understand is, and I agree that the split was not as you said peaceful, That the reason they named there cabinets the David series is because......... David (Eden) Brought down Goliath (SWR).

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    cool stuff, mike... :cool:

course, this whole background makes the bass manufacturing community suddenly seem awfully incestuous... :eyebrow:

next thing you know it, you're gonna tell me that Mike Tobias had a hand in designing sadowsky PJ basses. :ninja:

5. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    Hey Yvan, great thread but you've told too much of it to stop now. History is not only keeping good memories, isn't it ?
    ;)
    Now I'm very curious about that Epi/berg story. I've heard that Berg designed the cross-over that Epi use in their cabs, that's maybe the point ?

Shiveringbass

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Huh? Wow, I always thought it was because the guy who founded Eden was named David. Crazy, but now I know the real reason.

Not sure I'd call SWR a goliath, though. SWR is more of a small-sized behemoth.

MobileHolmes likes this.
  7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I did some gigs this month for a band who supplied me a bass rig which featured a Eden WT400. Is it just me or is the semi-parametric on that thing very, very, VERY, extremely, super-dooper touchy?

rufus.K likes this.
  8. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    All that I know is that without these guys we'd still probably be using amps and cabinets made by companies that design bass equipment as an after thought. It is a shame that ultimately both were absorbed by larger deversifed companies but they were definitely pioneers in the movement to produce quality high end bass gear. I know that I'll always be able to look back and remember the smile on my face the first time I played through a SM-400 with a Goliath cabinet! :)

Stingraymund and Bassdirty like this.
  9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Yep, one notch on an original design Eden WT gives a rather large amount of EQ. With the semi-parametric, I seldom use more than one notch of EQ on any of the bands, usually less. I borrowed an SWR Grand Prix preamp a few years ago, and its EQ was much less responsive.

10. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    a very, very small footnote but maybe of interest: Rabe approached us at Genz Benz to make cabs before he struck a deal with David.

11. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    The Amplifiied Peg company? How soon we forget the B-15 and the SVT.

12. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Interesting thread. Thankyou :)

13. That was great. Although I knew bits and pieces I didn't really know how they fit together until now.

We must know the Epi/Berg story.

How about putting it in a "secret" place where we can read it?

Or get an "emailing list" of interested readers and cc us all in.

14. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    No, I think that honor belongs to Leo Fender. :eyebrow:

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    he did help with some Lakland design though.

16. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

Apr 22, 2004
    I think you are missing my point. Mike Tobias did design the lakeland hollow-body bass, AFAIK. My point was that it's a little laughable to give Roger Sadowsky credit for the design of the Fender bass or the "PJ" configuration which people have been doing for years. He's a great luthier (IMHO) but his basses are not original designs.

17. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    I understand...I was commenting more on the incestous thing. I think I should have quoted the post above yours.

18. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    and yes, you're correct, it was the hollow body. I didn't mention it because I couldn't remember the name/model number.

19. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Had that deal happened, maybe their cabs would have actually sounded good!
    Uh oh......I hear someone firing up the flamethrower!!!!!
    Corey

20. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    uh ohh....don't pull me into that one! ;)

Seriously though, I like Eden's cabs....very different from ours: that's why there's chocolate and vanilla as I always say. All of Eden's stuff has a signature tone which I appreciate for certain things. They go into this quite a bit on their site.....how they've designed cabs and amps to have a certain tone.

At Genz, we strive for more of a natural response. Not quite Hi-Fi but not too colored either.

We have actually been approached by a few "stalwart" amp companies to produce their cabs as I'm sure Eden has. Many amp companies don't make or design their own cabs. One thing that Eden, EA, Epifani and Genz has in common is that we all started out as cab builders.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021