History lesson - Thunderfunk/SWR/Eden, etc.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by IvanMike, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I haven't looked at your stuff in the last 10 years, so I don't know if this applies, but I have to say when you first came out I couldn't believe you were making such nice cabs at such a low price. There was basically no way to compete with you and I recommended your cabs to everyone. This is when I was building tube guitar amps.

2. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    All I can say is I looooove my TFB420. It's neat to see where it came from, and I'm very appreciative of it's development.
    Thunderfunks get it!

3. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    Great post, Mike! And nice to hear the updates from Dave Funk. I'm one of those perverse folk :ninja: who really gets excited about such corporate histories. Especially this one, as I own a Thunderfunk 550, and think it has the nicest control selection of any bass amp out there, and is such a superb amp. Really a great buy at the price Dave is selling these for.

I'd heard some of this before. What strikes me about virtually all of the technical industries I've studied (I've written quite a number of case studies on computer and electronics companies) is that there always seem to be a core of a dozen or less enthusiast-engineers that seem to make it all happen -- whether its amps, or disk drives, or motherboards, or other items.

If you have any more of these mini-case studies tucked away, let us know by writing them up. I, for one, am paying attention in class :D

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    dave,

just so you know, the pain and gut wrenching agony of impatience is at its most complete in its exquisite wholeness, as i await my TFB550.

:)

5. Cool! You took the plunge on the new model. It's a great 'pro bassist working amp'. I've had many amps that sound better in the family room playing alone... but none that sound better with a horn section and a full rhythm section on a gig.

Some say the switch is very subtle, by the way. It has a huge effect for me at volume on a gig with a good quality bass. I really like the sound of the amp with the switch in the 'off' position most of the time. However, in ugly, boomy rooms, the switch up adds just enough grind, grit and mid presence to really make a difference.

We will look forward to your 'as usual' excellent review :)

6. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO

8. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    That's ugly ... a cheap part, and it's not even their fault (just the rectifier I assume).

9. Chef

Chef In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    "slapper"
    Nah, that ain't me. But a little more clarity (and power) might be good with DB.

I loooove my 420 tho, so probably matters very little ultimately.

10. +1... I think you are good to go with what you have!

PS More gigs with some of your local guys (Allen Beeson, etc.) this week. We need to hang sometime!

11. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K.

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    such a great thread!
    thanks!
    d :)

12. i really like this thread!
    great job IvanMike!

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i do what i can... ;)

but eversince i read about your little blurb on the TF site about how that one switch cured your boomy room, i was a little skeptical. yet, the curiousity is too great for me to pass up and try that myself. :p

now back to your originally scheduled thread...

14. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Stated very poetically, j... definitely wins TB's Walt Whitman award... :D

15. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    that's nice of you to say Dave....a sincere thanks. We still represent a good value and work our hardest to keep that position. With some cabs though, as I know you're aware, when you start adding Neo speakers, the price goes up. You're also aware of the increase in cost of raw materials ..... birch ply, mdf etc. Over the last 18 months, those cost increases have come often.

16. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Jim Bergantino did cabinet design work for both Epifani and Aguilar before starting up his own company. The "soap opera" is that he let people know about it :D

Epifani (and probably Aguilar) didn't like this much as it implied that the Bergs were the "real thing" or at least BETTER.

Of course if you actually take a similar cab from each maker none of them sound alike. Each has major design differences which are reflected in the sound.

The MI business is quite small and many of the "name" designers have flitted from company to company over the years.

17. getz76

getz76

Apr 3, 2005
    Hoboken, NJ
    I didn't know you could get in trouble for implying the truth. :confused:

:D

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hehe,

was actually goin' for a gothic Percy Shelley thing, but hey, its open lit to anyone. :)

and why cant everyone be like Dave/Funk and HB/Genz? good stuff guys. :cool:

and yes, if/when Jim Bergantino came out w/ a neo solution, the drool from my lips would be up to my hips. (me channelin' some Sir Mixalot. :D)

19. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    No, it was that they mounted it from the circuit board to the chassis for heatsinking and they broke from vibration. The amps were built by Oberheim (Belgian synth manufacturer) in North Hollywood.

A product manager at Gibson (now at Fender) said to me, "No matter how hard you try to kill a brand, it keeps coming back." Makes me think of Steinberger and Tobias. You think companies buy brands to expand their market share when really it's to eliminate the competition.

Since you own an amp I'll say that what gets me is how close my amp is the Eden and SWR, yet they don't sound the same. It comes down to bean counters ruining a product by designing to a price point to satisfy the consumer market which is where the volume and money is. Keith Horne (Hot Apple Pie) was offered anything from Eden for free and he bought a Thunderfunk instead. BTW, he uses the switch in the "down" position.

http://www.dreamworksnashville.com/artist.aspx?ob=ros&src=lb&aid=185

There's a duet on this first album with Willie Nelson. And that's the band on the record! Keith's a champion flat-picker also. You'll hear him playing acoustic on the webpage audio. He's a fusion player (the band "Secrets") that use to pack the house in Richmond where Dave Matthews was the bartender!

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is very true, but I never understood these two cases in particular. Gibson never had anything that would even remotely compare (let alone compete) with a Steinie or a Tobias. IMHO.

I'm just totally thankful Mike came back in full force. I never stop falling in love with my MTD. It's a wonderful thing. :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021