Hofner-(not just Beatle Basses)-Group Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 6, 2012.

1. I am now a Hofner Bass Ace with 5 Hofners to my name!
    hofner5!7.jpg

The Sunburst Club is my latest Hofner I bought from the Bassist from the 1960s rock group "The Outsiders"
    and had it autographed by the drummer and bass player!
    sunclub autograph.jpg

2. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I too have 5, and may just have buy one to keep ahead of you!

On a serious note, I think it is inevitable that I will get one of the violin shape Shorty basses when they come out.

3. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    A post of the before and after pics for the mods I did to my HCT Cavern. IMG_20201031_1918191.jpg IMG_20201121_2034067.jpg IMG_20201121_2034037.jpg IMG_20201121_2034010.jpg IMG_20201121_2033575.jpg

4. Skydog6653

Skydog6653

Aug 31, 2016
    Here's a cool video featuring your bass!

j5eugene and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  5. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands

Another Outsiders band, 1967.

6. Skydog6653

Skydog6653

Aug 31, 2016
    Yeah…I believe the drummer is the only original member still in the band.

Scooter Johnson likes this.

7. Yes and no.... that is the group (The Outsiders) but the bass Greg is using in that show was his Ignition B-Bass ... I got his Club bass ..... But I have seen the B-Bass many times !

sunclubincase2.jpg

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  8. That group is out of the UK ... not the same group...

9. Stempelloos

Stempelloos

Nov 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    They were actually from Amsterdam, that is in the Netherlands, the western part is referred to as Holland, where the people speak Dutch. I was aware that they're another band, that was the point made.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I approve!

Root 5, j5eugene and Doctor Intrepid like this.
  11. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Saw those yesterday. They look fantastic! Not sure if I could dip into the savings to buy one, though.

12. DavesnothereCA

DavesnothereCA

Aug 21, 2017
    Canada
    ~
    Now THAT's purty ! :drool: [the whole instrument]

Do they make one of those in a Club bass ?
    ~

13. Happy holidays all you Hofner hounds.

DSC01871.JPG

TD

SJLee, eSam, Aceonbass and 5 others like this.
  14. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    A real beauty! Happy Holidays!

Thornton Davis likes this.
  15. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    I bought an Ignition Club "Pro". It's green. :)
    It is a precious little jewel. :)

I was relieved to see a thick-enough neck profile (as this helps avoid dead/weak spots). I'll measure and post it later.
    Its neck dive is nearly zero, maybe because of these guitar-sized tuners, but it does flop forward like an EB/SG. I'll also share with you what I do about that later.

The strings aren't going to work for me, but I expected this. They're approx 45-105 and the E is totally dead.
    Will install either La Bella, TIJF, or Cobalt flats, minimum gauge. Don't need exact Beatles sound. Must have clarity.

I expect a time-consuming process to get it intonated as closely as possible (partly because I intend to avoid scratching it around the bridge), so I'll wait until after the string change.

16. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    I have a set of 34" Cobalt flats 40-95 on hand.
    Do you think they'll accept being installed on these small posts? I won't blame you if they fail.

EDIT: Disregard. Ordered La Bella Beatle 39-96, and this will be my designated thumpy bass for now. I'll try brighter flats on another short scale.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  17. Did he refer to you as his “Buddy?”

18. I concur your approval!

19. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    Ignition Club Pro:
    Advertised is 21mm (.83") at 1st fret and 22mm (.86") "near the heel".
    Mine is .96" at 1st and 1.0" at 12th.
    Nut width (measured at the wood, not the nut itself, because it overhangs a little), is 1.655".
    So, it's my thickest neck profile and my second widest nut. Happy, for the reason I said. Might have bought one much earlier if I had known/realized this.

The miraculous absence of neck dive must be due to the featherweight tuners.

I do believe that the top is spruce and that the back is flamed maple. Neck looks like maple; I certainly hope that it is.

The scale length (nut to center of 12th fret x2) is 30.25".

DavesnothereCA likes this.
  20. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't have neckdive on any of my Hofners. It did happen when I used a nylon strap, but not when I switched to leather straps on all 5 of mine.

I use a range of strings. Mostly roundwounds, but I have flatwounds on one bass. I generally buy strings that are designated for the Hofners, as they are the right length and light gauges. I tried La Bella white nylons once and liked them a lot.

LetItGrowTone likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021