1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

HOT HAND 3 (NEW ring design)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by willbassyeah, Jul 24, 2012.

1. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
  2. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Well that sucks. I just got the regular one last week.

3. I knew this day would come :). Now just waiting on that SB2 BEF.

4. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    I really didn't think you'd be able to but it does look like you can! That's brilliant.

5. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    it does, that is what the description says but the SA website doesnt seems to be updated, was told about this news today, when i enquire on the hot hand, i got the sounblox but no hot hand haha

6. itswac

itswac

Nov 24, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Endorsing Artist/Product Line Manager: Source Audio Effects
    Yes we've trickled some Hot Hand 3's out into the market pre-release. As you can imagine, there are a lot of complexities that come up when the ring has to interface with any pedal that takes an expression input.

We would like to build an FAQ for the HH3 so that anyone who picks one up in the future can have a quick and easy guide for connecting it to any pedal on their pedal board.

If you get a HH3, please send me a PM and let me know if you have any tips we should add!

7. wait.... you can buy these already!? and they act just as an expression pedal. And they can go on Anything with an exp. pedal 1/4 jack. ummmm my landlord might have to wait another two weeks for rent!

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Is there a wired version with the new interface?

9. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    No. Had not thought of that, actually. Is the interest in this due to pricing or wanting to have a back-up?

10. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    yup exactly, i emailed SA, and they have shipped last week =)) i upgrading my SA BEF to the pro version and so stocked to purchase the new hot hand 3, they will arrive in september in my country haha

11. Me too. No wonder they all of sudden came up in stock. Bleah! :bawl:

12. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    The old wireless rings will work with the new receiver (and vice versa). We are contemplating selling the new receiver by itself as an upgrade path for those who may have recently purchased the wireless. We would sell it as a part on our SA on line store. With that said, having a back-up ring is not a bad thing.

Note that the HH3 was a complicated development, and we only have a small few that are on the market at the moment.

13. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Pricing, fewer batts and I play stationarily. Incidentally, how long is the wired wire?

14. rsmith601

rsmith601

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    President, Source Audio
    6 feet or so and a 16 ft extension.

15. I had gotten the BEF and MBD a few weeks ago, and when I did I looked at the Hot Hand but didn't pick one up. When I went back last week, I was told it was now out of stock, but I could put my name in for one when it came in. Quoted price was about $30 more than original, so looks like I might be in line for one of the new ones! :hyper:

16. ian bell

ian bell

Aug 17, 2012
    Just ordered BEF pro and hot hand 3 from bassdirect they have both in stock at present for anyone looking to get hold of one. I will find a way to play this set up with my ebow that I've recently mastered.

17. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    I just got mine and I am SUPER PISSED OFF.

Source Audio though of everything except, a reasonable way to POWER THE RECEIVER....

its a 5v mini port. I have no way of powering this thing on my board unless i use the wall wart. which makes it completely useless to put on my board now. way to go!!

if they want their product to be taken seriously then they should've built it with a regular 9v input and put a charging station for the ring right on the receiver. Something that fits the industries standard so that people already working with other products could integrate their products seamlessly.

18. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    The receiver is small, so I can see the need to use a smaller plug size. Ideally, for me, I'd like a right angle power plug for optimal placement on my board, but I'm still unsure of the size. I mistakenly ordered a right angle extention cord in the wrong size (since I didn't get a response in another thread, but hey, I'm impatient like that!). Would Roger or Will know the size of that plug? I'm now thinking it's a 1.3mm x 3.5mm plug. Any insight would be helpful...

19. jesseRSA

jesseRSA

Apr 21, 2010
    Lowly, Dirty Designer and Engineer: Source Audio Effects
    Hi Kobaia,
    This is Jesse from SA. I'm the guy who designed the HH3.
    First, thanks for buying one and I'm sorry that you're having an issue with the design.

You raise a good point that a way should be provided to power the receiver from a standard type pedal board supply.

There are a few things to keep in mind for you and some other users out there:
    1. The power adapter is only necessary when using the expression output. When you are using the sensor output, the HH3 receiver is powered through the sensor jack from a Soundblox or Hot Hand pedal. The expression output needs the 5 Volts to work properly.
    2. Don't try to use a plug adapter to go from 9V down to the 5 Volts needed on the receiver. This will likely damage the receiver.
    3. In terms of the design, using a pedal board supply to directly power the receiver can be potentially problematic since the receiver can send noise "upstream" to the supply. We have a special way of preventing this on our pedals. A separate power supply is the best means of isolation.
    4. In case you do need a second supply, we have them available on our online store for short money.

Back to your point, we should be able to solve this issue with a small adapter that we can make as an accessory. Basically it would be a 9V to 5V converter that provides some isolation. I'll get to work on making that happen.
    By the way, which board supply are you using?

Last thing, it can be hard to anticipate all of the needs of all of the users out there until you get a product out in the field. So I greatly appreciate customer feedback that we can use to make our products better.

Feel free to contact us on email/phone if you want to discuss further.