1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How did you find the singer for your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by waidonchasaisew, May 3, 2010.

1. My band has been together for a year and a half now and our singers aren't singing as well as we'd hoped. Our lead singer insists on buying acoustic and electric guitars instead of buying a new mic amp to replace his crappy keyboard amp he sings out of. Our backup singer refuses to buy a mic and tells me "I'll get it when I get some money." but that has never happened.

So, basically, I was wondering how you came across your singer and what made you think he/she was the one?

2. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    got her off craigslist. Went to a kareoke bar to hear her sing. I knew I'd have some work ahead of me to turn her from a singer into a musician and that's been the case but the potential is there.

3. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

It's been hard finding a singer actually. Our singer-songwriter (and an extremely good acoustici guitarist) has an okay voice for some of the faster stuff but the ballads with more sustained notes require more pitch control which isn't his strength.

We've done the Craigslist thing here in Toronto and only have dug up the usual flakes so far, who enthusiastically indicate their interest but then never show up for an audition.

I'm singing a bit now, but still find it difficult to sing and play bass at the same time. I've got to hand it to those of you who do it regularly, as it's not easy doing so much stuff off the beat with bass guitar and then singing at the same time. I can actually play drums and sing a lot easier than I can sing while playing bass.

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My brothers band fired him. Then my band hired him. Then my band fired him. Then my band hired him.......

5. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Craigslist. Several times over. It's actually quite convoluted. One of my current bands is made up of former bandmates and (including the singer whom we found on craigslist), and the cover band is made up of other former bandmates (including one of the same guitarists) and they found their signer on CL, and the previous singer on CL, and the previous singer on CL if I'm not mistaken. My former band (the musicians of which are currently in my cover band) also had found our singers on CL, including our original singer who is now the singer in my new band.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    We got sick of going through singers, so now we just do it ourselves.

7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Our two guitarists cover the majority of the vocals but we're looking for a third lead to take some of the load. Been hit 'n miss on CraigsList. Tim (guitarist) also has a DJ / karaoke business and is able to tap into some of the local "undiscovered" talent.

Riis

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Our singer flaked four hours before the gig, and I had to handle lead duties. After that disaster, I was hanging out at the bar and talked to the bartender and found out she was a classically trained singer. I invited her to come out and jam with us, and she's been totally awesome ever since.

9. i'm the singer + bass player, so i've never really had this problem. and i have a friend who's a drummer, though we're currently without a guitarist due to his fear of playing live. lol

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I am in a 3 piece bass, guitar, drum lineup but we are all 3 also lead singers who harmonize very well too. I have not been in a band with somebody who just sings and does not play an instrument since 1983. I would rather have somebody who can contribute more.

11. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Quite sincerely.. Karaoke and chruch choirs..

Many times you have to convince someone they have the chops.. OR they're a posterior pain.

12. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Oh yea.. have all your junk in a row -- don't expect them to bring anything.

13. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

The guitarist and I ARE the singers for my band. Decided that lead singers weren't worth the trouble anymore and since then it's been much better.

Unless your voice is truly awful, try singing. It's pretty fun, if challenging.

Currently we're thinking of trying to get a second guitarist who's also a woman who can sing, so we can do epic three part harmonies.

14. We found ours through a local entertainment rag. He sings well enough, but drives us (collectively) nuts in other ways. Overly critical, nit picks things to death. We stay highly accurate to our (covers) music, but it's possible to practice songs right into the ground, and it ssems that's where he's trying to head us. We plan on making a change...soon.

15. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    I was a singer (only) when I first started. I hated having nothing to do during solos.

A friend offered me a spot in a band if I would learn bass. Done.

Years later, I went looking for a job where I only had to play. No luck. Still howlin'. And trying to keep the groove at the same time...sometimes it's dicey.

16. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

It can be very difficult, yeah.

17. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    only singers i work with are either my guitarist/singer/brother, or usually teenagers that want to be a pop star and hire me to play on their recordings..

but if i needed a singer, the best place to look is college music departments. they all have tons of voice majors, and you'll be sure to find one whos a musician, and not someone who (like i said before) just wants to be a pop star..

18. I wish my guitarists were good at singing. They really suck honestly, but they tell me I suck at singing, so I don't even try. Our drummer refuses to sing as well, so no dual instrument singing for our band =P

19. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    My brother sang for a while, but wanted to focus soley on guitar, so we brought in the singer from his very first band who had come back to Michigan after moving down south. He had to end up moving again, so we brought in my lead guitarist's younger brother, who's former band had broken up 6 months prior.

20. craigslist ftw!
    Finding a singer is TOUGH now a days. We knew the guy was right because we all got along so well. The dude had pipes and fit in perfectly. I'd take a decent singer who we all love over an incredible singer who we all wanna jump.