1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Heavy is Too Heavy ??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chiplexic, Mar 23, 2006.

1. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    It just seems that a lot of the import basses are pushing closer to 10lbs. and over as an average lately. Ash Korean basses Heavy...Japanese Alder or Ash Heavy !! I've had a few basses come and go in the last few years but the G&L L2k that I've had for the last 22 years is 9.5 lbs so that has become my personal benchmark. I'll say one thing I've noticed is the Amerian Series Fenders seem to be keeping weights fairly light.

2. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    My basses cover the extremes. I have a really light Sadowsky (less than 8lbs) and and Alembic MK Signature (Series 2 shape) and although I don't know the actual weight, it is well over 10lbs an probably around the 12lb mark. Then the others are inbetween. I guess weight doesn't really matter to me as I'm OK with all my basses (ensuring I have a comfy wide strap for the Alembic) and I reckon that sound and playability is what I ultimately look for.

3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I haven't ever met a bass heavier than my good ol' Peavey T-40. When I do I'll let you know what "too heavy" feels like.

-Nate

4. So much has to do with body size and balance. Some heavy basses feel fine to me (70's style J Basses for example), and others feel very large and cumbersome (Fodera Emperor).

I draw the line at around 11 pounds though... anything more than that starts to feel heavy in the later sets of long gigs.

The NYC Sadowsky's are wonderful.... my chambered Alder Vintage is just a touch over 8 pounds, and is just a pleasure to play.... but... it doesn't sound like my 10 1/2+ pound Celinder:cool:

5. My main bass is a 2-Tek Hamer CruiseBass and it weighs in at a hair under 10 pounds. I just got rid of a very light Reverend Rumblefish. The Hamer balances perfectly but the Rumblefish had serious neck dive and the un-contoured body was also an issue for me, it sounded like a chorus of angels singing but it was too damned uncomfortable. I don't think weight is much an issue as balance.

6. I have a '78 Precision that weighs 13 pounds!!! It look real nice hanging on the wall and I enjoy looking at it.......at age 59 weight becomes more of an issue for me so I play a Reverend and have no issues.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I haven't actually weighed my basses, but my Yamaha BB605 is very light, and my BB414 is just slightly heavier. They are both very comfortable and I could wear them for hours.

8. Once a bass gets over 11 pounds it starts to feel heavy to me, but I have played 12 pounders that we very comfortable. As KJung says, balance is key. My ideal weight for a bass is between 9.5 and 10.5, with the exception of basses like the Turner Ren, which at 7 pounds is a dream to play and there is no sacrifice in tone.

I also think that a lot of folks would be surprised at what their basses really eigh. The "bathroom scale" method is very inaccurate. Try laying that bass on a postal scale. I have purchased at least two basses that were advertised as "under 9lbs" that were 10.2 and 9.9 lbs respectively.

I know that the heaviest bass I ever owned was a late 80's L2000. Hoooo Haaaaa! Taking that bass of at the end of the set was a really great feeling. It was just a shade under 13 pounds.

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    BTW, a very cool place to get a really accurate weight on your bass is at the veternarian's (sp?) office. If you have one nearby, take your bass there and ask to use the scale. They have really good sized scales for the dogs to walk up on to, in most cases the scales are long enough to lay your bass flat on its back ........ :cool:

10. The same issue for me. My Rick Turner Electroline weighs 8.5 pounds and balances well. I am very pleased with it. On the other hand last week I disposed of my CIJ Tele that I have had for several years that weighed the same. The Electroline is a delight to play for an extended time and the Tele was a burden despite the excellent tone. There is a Ken Smith Design 70s Jazz 5 in my favorite shop that weighs 11 lbs 4 oz. One day we weighed it on the postal scale. That is heavier than I want to play for an extended period and I have heard other people comment on it also.

11. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    For me, the scale is: light - medium - heavy - too heavy - way too heavy - T-40.:D

~John

12. clayton

clayton

Jun 26, 2005
    Hey, just a random question: does weight have any relation to a bass' tone? i.e.: would a heavy bass sound deeper or something like that?

13. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Too heavy for me is when:
    A 4" wide strap isn't enough to make it comfortable to wear for four sets.
    The wood is too dense to resonate enough to "sound alive."
    Balance is adversely effected.

14. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    The heavier the bass, the thicker the strap... You will notice that a $50 strap is a life saver in this department. Obviously the thicker it is, the more surface area of your shoulder it covers and disburses the weight accordingly... The thinner the strap the more it will act like dental floss and cut into your shoulder...
    My Warwick Stage 2 is 11 lbs and the thicker strap makes it a deam to play.

15. I havent weighed it, but my Conklin GT4 is a heavy beast for a 4 string it seems. It said 21 lbs when it was being shipped (box, bubble wrap, gig bag, bass), but I dunno. I dont mind the weight, though, whatever it is.

16. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

10 LBS is pushing it for me.

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I jsut sold a MIM Jazz Deluxe V to another TB'er last month. I warned him about the weight - 13 pounds - but he loves the tone, so I guess we're both happy.

18. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    You want to talk heavy? I owned a custom Chris Larkin 5-string a few years back; awesome bass and I wish I never sold it (stupid car blew up!), but that beast weighed in at almost 15 pounds!

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I try to stay around 9 pounds. If I really like a bass, I'll put up with more weight for awhile, but it never lasts. The first time I have to keep it on my shoulder for 2-3 hours, I quickly change my mind.

A classic example for me is the Thumb NT 5 I had for approximately three weeks. TONE heaven, I seriously loved that tone. However, at over 13 pounds (forget the exact amount, could have been closer to 14-15), there was just no way I could gig with that. We're talking pinched nerves and numbness here, even with a 3" padded comfort strapp.

20. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    How bad is your back? If you have a bad back you can relate to the misery that pain causes. Can I get a witness??

The heavier the bass the more back issues will be aggravated.

A lot a great basses out there that don't weigh a lot. Some of the tone woods are heavy and if you want a solid walnut body you have to expect it's going to weigh a bit more than swamp ash or alder.

When I look for a new bass it's an important question; how much does it weigh? 7-9 lbs... cool, more than that I may look elsewhere.