1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How long have you played with your current band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by obsidianbass, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I read a lot of threads here about bands going south, and considering the "artistic tendencies" of many musicians it's not really a surprise. I was wondering if any of you have been happily gigging with the same group of people for a long time.

It occurred to me awhile back that I've been with the same group of guys longer than most people stay married and it's as fun now as ever. We're going on 10 years. We're all friends and hang out and decided early on to check the drama at the door. We've taken leaps and bounds as musicians and what we do today sounds virtually nothing like when we started.

I know staying with one band this long isn't for everyone, but is there anyone else out there in a similar situation? How have you managed to keep it going so long?

2. I have been writing/gigging with the same guitarist for 16 years.

3. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    I'm in 2 bands
    First band, together since 2007, but have been working in various bands with one of the guys for about 20 years
    Second band, together since early 2011

4. wong99

wong99

Jun 6, 2012
    1.5 years.

5. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Same band since 1974. We've lost a couple of members along the way and had to bring in new
    blood but 4 of the original 6 are still there.

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Coming up on one year... wow... it'll be one year tomorrow, haha!

7. code911

code911

Jun 21, 2005
    Greenback, TN
    About 3 yrs with the infamous and notorious Kudzu

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Played my first gig with my current band in April 2011.

So, roughly a year and 4 months.

9. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    I've been in my current band for 10 days. Been with the same drummer for 2 years though

10. slobake

slobake resident ... something

About one year. We are at a point where playing togehter is becoming more intuitive and more fun.

11. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've been with my primary band for 18 years. Our first gig was September 1994.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    This band, Ive been in for a year and three quarters.

13. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    11 years. With a 4 year break in-between for the drummer to realize what he was missing =p

14. Luv2Pla4U

Luv2Pla4U

Feb 18, 2011
    Richmond, VA
    My group is a Jazz quartet (Keys, sax, drums & myself), we've been together for 8 years but each of us is freelancing and doing studio sessions independently as well.

Everyone is committed to the integrity of the group, and we've only had to turn down one gig due to a scheduling conflict since getting together.

15. droo46

droo46

Jun 16, 2011
    Same guitarist for 2.5 years and two bands and four drummers. He and I are pretty consistent.

16. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've been in my current band for a little over 5 years. I've been playing with a couple of these dudes for 10 years.

17. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    On and off with the same 2 guitar players for well over 20 years. But then, they are my two brothers.

Been with the current drummer for 10 years and down to a three piece since one of my brothers went to live in Hong Kong.

18. Wow! Some of you have been at it awhile. That's great!

19. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Hey Febs...is your avatar the child from your last sonogram-scan avatar? That's cool :)

20. BelleNoireBass

BelleNoireBass

Apr 18, 2012
    Bay Area
    Been with Belle Noire for a little over a year now I believe. The lead singer/rhythm guitar and I made a band in high school called Oblivious which we were in for a little while until my young immature self was woo'd by some chick that, looking back, definitely wasn't worth it. He and I both moved apart for quite some time until he moved back to the Bay Area from Colorado and we started playing again. We had some jam stuff going with the drummer from our high school band for a little bit and even got a practice place to try and create some original material. We got a few songs, but things went south and we disbanded. Then he found these 4 dudes on clist and joined their ranks as the lead singer/songwriter etc. and started creating material. After their bass player flaked over and over and over and knowing that I was just waiting for them to ask me, they finally brought me into the lineup. We just finished recording 6 songs for our first EP and are having a release show September 15th at the Blank Club in dt San Jose. Hopefully we'll be together for a long time and keep progressing.