1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How long is too long to wait for a speaker cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthew_84, May 20, 2011.

1. So, I'm getting a speaker cabinet shipped in from a very popular manufacturer in Europe. I've ordered a cabinet which is a regular stock item and have waited a couple days shy of two months. I have everything else just sitting and waiting, a couple of pedals, a tube preamp, a power amp, and even a DIY Gramma Pad, which I made about 6 weeks ago. And right now I'm playing on a 10-watt guitar amp and it's driving me nuts, and I'm not a patient person at all.

So I'm just curious how long should I wait for a stock speaker cabinet to be shipped over from Europe? Is two months still early in the wait or are they fairly overdue? BTW I live in Toronto, Canada.

I know that there's no real benefit for me to know, I'm just anxious, and am hoping to get it sooner than later.

Thanks,

Matt

2. hmmmmm.......Europe huh?

The company, by any chance, wouldn't be called; "der Bass Doktor", would it??? :p

3. lol, no, it's a pretty big company, one of the bigger names in amps. I'm just a little surprised. The store said it would only take a couple of weeks, and apparently it's on "back order", whatever that means

4. DJS

DJS

Feb 10, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Must be an "Apple" Cabinet. That "Apple" stuff is always back ordered.

The problem is nobody really knows what that means. I waited for 6 weeks for a back ordered amp last year. Maybe scarf a cheap used cabinet that you can resell with no loss to tide you over.

5. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    whats the company?

If they told me two weeks and it turned into 2 months I'd want updates and answers.

6. That's a good idea but the power amp puts out a lot of watts and most of my money is tied up in this order, plus everything I bought to go with it. I guess I'll just have to wait... Two months seems a little ridculous though

7. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    are you sure they're not scamming you?

8. Well the store told me they've done all they can do. It's on back order from the manufacturer and it has to go to their distributor first, and it will pretty much get there whenever it does. I asked several times and they can't really track it, and I haven't gotten any tracking numbers which would allow me to ask the manufacturer directly

9. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    frankly, i'd want my money back.

and I would've spoken to a rep at the manufacturer as well.

10. No it's a very reputable store with probably hundreds of locations around Canada and the manufacturer is very well known in the bass community. Everyone I've talked to at the store tells me this manufacturer takes a while. I just wanted to make sure two months is a long time before I start going overboard, part of the reason why I'm not giving out the manufacturer's name

11. Yeah, I've thought about that, but I really want this specific cabinet and can't get what I'm looking for at this price from anyone else, and I can't find any other distributors near me. I'll call the store tomorrow and get whatever info I can (they have to have something I can use) and contact the manufacturer myself, thanks.

12. That's very considerate of you. Just don't let it get out of hand.
    Long wait times can be expected with small companies that custom build cabs, and work with a small crew, but a major manufacturer shouldn't take too much longer (IMHO) unless there's a global backorder on a critical part, etc.
    :bassist: Good Luck!.....:)

13. lol, maybe there was some truth to that "The End of Neodymium Cabs?" thread a couple of months ago.

14. Hi.

If Your cab is a NEO, and not the "run-of -the -mill" variety (even if it's listed as such on a website), and wasn't completed before the rise on the Neodymium speaker prices the small print applies.

IMLE there's profit to be made only in the lowest end of the cab spectrum, and the more pro oriented manufacturers are often forced to adjust their prices according to the costs. And that is a PITA to the customers.

On "back-order" would suggest that the previous run is sold out, and the next run is in the unforeseeable future. I don't know how the legislation in Canada is, but if You paid the cab in full advance in advance, You may have a chance to actually get the cab.

Regards
    Sam

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    EBS? Glockenklang? Who?

17. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    MarkBass ?

18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +1 Post the company name.

I suggest getting a refund. There are lots of cab builders that will have you a cab with little wait.

If no one can explain what "backordered" means in regards to your cabinet, then they are probably investing your cash in interest bearing accounts and making good money off of prepayments.

Why can't it be explained? The cab builder should easily be able to give you details on your situation. They have purchasing, inventory, manufacturing and finance systems that are all computerized. It's not rocket science. I've installed these type of systems since the 80's. COME ON!

I wouldn't put up with it, especially since the store told you it would only be a couple of weeks. Seems to me they should be offering you a refund since they haven't been billed for the cab yet.

I suggest you ask for a refund just to see what happens. If you get flak, then I take it up a notch to find out what's really going on.

+1 On the increased Neo prices as being the cause of the backorder or production problems.

19. Baboma

Baboma

Feb 10, 2011
    From what I've seen in German online stores lately, I'd place my bet on Tecamp.

20. I think you should post the name if for nothing else but to spare others the possibility of suffering the same ordeal of ordering something that will take months to ship....