How many basses do you own? (Currently) Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 23, 2013.

1. 1

818 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. 2

1,369 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. 3

1,423 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. 4

1,177 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. 5 to 9

2,489 vote(s)
    29.7%
  6. 10 to 20

816 vote(s)
    9.7%
  7. 21 +

214 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. Too many to count

75 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. CletusMarley

CletusMarley Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    I have 6 now.

2. Dara O CARROLL

Dara O CARROLL

May 26, 2020
    London, UK
    I've got 3 now.

• 2008 Fender CIJ Geddy Lee - I love that thing.
    • 2020 G&L LB-100 Tribute - my first "P" type bass. Sounds great with flats on, the hardware is awesome for the money, and it sounds absolutely fantastic. BUT it's a little rough around the edges. The fretwork finishing could be better but it is an entry level bass so maybe that's to be expected. Fantastic for the money.
    • 2021 Fender American Pro 2 P Bass - just got this bad boy last week and I am loving it so far. It's by far the lightest of the 3 - I haven't weighed it but it is noticeable. The sound and feel is buttery smooth. Looking forward to gigging it!

ghorvers and Outtaseezun like this.
  3. w3stoner

w3stoner

Nov 30, 2016
    1976 Fender Jazz (fretless 4, 3 J pickups (vol x3, tone x1)), hipshot d-tuner, tuning A/CGDg)
    2018 Ibanez Talman TMB105 (fretted 5, slimmed down neck, CND pickups, tonemonster SBK-3AD preamp, hipshot ultralights & d-tuner, tuning A/CGDgc)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
  4. w3stoner

w3stoner

Nov 30, 2016
    That's a nice looking bass!

5. Dara O CARROLL

Dara O CARROLL

May 26, 2020
    London, UK
    Those De Giers are interesting, I'd never heard of the brand but after a quick Google they seem like finely crafted instruments. How do they play, and how do they compare to a traditional Fender J or P?

6. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    I'd love to hear a thorough commentary on that Dingwall. They are so unique/interesting, I'd love to know how they play and sound. Not the typical fare you see at the corner Basses-R-Us. Beautiful collection.

Tim

7. Tom F

Tom F

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    After some selling, I finally got back under 10 (will be at 9 as soon as I drop off the most recent sale at UPS tonight). Still would like to pick up a nice Jazz bass and a Stingray, but it might be up being an either/or situation.

My real problem now is that I’ve gotten home studio GAS and have spent time looking at upgrades to my microphones and mic pre’s. Possibly more concerning, my practice time has been increasingly split with mixing/production work. Having a blast regardless, and I do love having a small pot of money on hand to pounce on a good deal if one comes up.

8. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    They are extremely well built and I honestly think Sander de Gier is one of the finest luthiers I know. I had the Bebop (the Jazz variant) built in 2013 and it's a bit heavy, but since the update on his basses (slightly smaller body, better selection on the wood) they're actually pretty light. The Soulmate is about a year and a half old and one of the greatest Precisions I've ever played. All Sander's basses are amazing and you have quite some custom options. My Bebop is the first De Gier ever with dots+binding (before he only did dots or blocks/binding), my Soulmate is the first dots+binding Soulmate and the only De Gier (as far as I know) with lollipop tuners. I'd pick a De Gier over any newer Fender, even Custom Shops. The necks are amazingly comfortable, the body shapes are a bit slimmer and more ergonomical than your standard Fender shape and they always fall amazingly into the mix. Can't give high enough praise to Sander's basses.

That Dingwall is something else. It's the best B-string I've heard in a long time, but then again: it's 37" so you'd expect it to be. They sound very even over the whole neck and although this is "just" a Combustion, it feels quite high end. The sound is very tight and modern and I love using it in my jazz/fusion group. You get used to those fanned frets almost immediately. I have had quite some bassist friends try my bass and they're all surprised at how easy it is to play.

gg22, ghorvers, gzarruk and 2 others like this.
  9. trseal

trseal

Mar 18, 2021
    NorCal
    The video is FREAKING AMAZING!! Absolutely beautiful! I think I'll just go sell my basses now... :(

Tim

10. Guys, honestly, do i have weird taste in basses? These three have been on all second hand platforms here in Spain & a couple in France for two or three weeks & i still have them...

11. I've got 9 now. Might be time to thin the herd a bit!

1. 1990's Roscoe LG-3005
    2. 1974 Hagstrom HII BN
    3. 1979 Ibanez Studio ST-924
    4. Dingwall 1st Gen Combustion 5
    5. Nodrstrand Acinonyx Cat Bass
    6. Fender Roadworn Jazz
    7. 1960s Kent 822 Hollowbody
    8. Epiphone Embassy
    9. Modded SX Jazz 5

MonetBass and gzarruk like this.
  12. BassAgent

BassAgent

Dec 2, 2003
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Official Artist: Eich Amplification
    Nah. The market sucks atm, those basses are awesome but underrated and pretty specific in style. Even with "regular" basses you really have to be patient.

Outtaseezun likes this.
  13. I actually sold the RMI Quantum yesterday... it's awaiting pick-up at my doorstep hihi

14. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Those are awesome. Hope you sell them soon. I'd happily take the middle 6 off your hands!

What's the rationale behind only keeping the Squier?

15. Hey there, @nonohmic !
    That's the one that was sold a few hours ago, sorry!
    There are a bunch of reasons, both practical & emotional, why i am retreating to a budget four strings only.
    If U want the long version, i'd suggest private messages. The short version is: i need simple & efficient. With maybe later a simple & efficient short scale back-up bass...
    I was really questioning my tastes in basses though when i put those up for sale. I've seen threads for and against "coffee table basses" or however they were called... but man for a couple of weeks there was 0 interest in neither of the three i was selling lol... One is gone now. & i have a potential buyer for the fretless but i suspect a scam...

16. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    I just ordered a Fender Ultra Jazz V which bring me up to 6
    j6ZNjDm.jpg
    1. '95' SR5
    4UfJOOih.jpg
    2. '95' SR5 fretless
    Ty1P6GQh.jpg
    3. G&L LB-100
    sorry no pic
    4. G&L JB-5
    9jMKp1Bh.jpg
    5. Lakland 5502
    OyiKanqh.jpg
    6. Fender Ultra Jazz V

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  17. conttador

conttador Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    6, soon to be 7

‘98 Ken Smith BMT 5
    ‘01 Ken Smith BSRE5
    ‘78 Fender Jazz
    Late 80’s (Pre TBX) Modulus NT 5 Fretless
    ‘85 Tobias 6
    ‘10 Prat 6 NT

Working on an early 90s Sadowsky NYC Modern. (GAS)

gzarruk likes this.
  18. CletusMarley

CletusMarley Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2018
    8 now.

Mr Cheese likes this.
  19. Mr Cheese

Mr Cheese

Nov 8, 2019
    New York, USA
    What's the newcomer?

CletusMarley likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2021