1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many hours a day do you play bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FBS1996, May 19, 2011.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

Feb 14, 2011
    For me its any where between 20 minutes and 4 hours. I'd say its usually 1 and a half or 2 hours

2. Popbumper

Popbumper

Jul 19, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    30 minutes to 2 hours. I even play unplugged sometimes just to get the fingers exercised.

Chris

3. Reaper Man

Reaper Man

Jan 15, 2010
    MA
    I try to play @ least 30 min a day- Saturday I don't get to play @ all because I work literally all day, but I make up for it on Sunday with @ least 3 hours

4. 7 hours a week at most.

5. 15 minutes to an hour on non-band practice days. 2 hours or so on band practice days.

6. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    At least 1 hour each day. Otherwise I feel useless and suicidal. :)

7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    15 minutes to 1 hour depending, at the time.

8. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Play about 3 to 5 times a week for about and hour and forty minutes but I sometimes have been known to pull all nighters with my headphones...

9. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    12 hours a month:bag:

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    not nearly enough

11. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    3min--3hrs depending on when & if I have time. I try to at least pick it up every day.

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Use to play 5-7 hours a day back when I played in two different schools groups in high school. These days I'm lucky to play 5-7 hours a week.

13. DubBassfunk

DubBassfunk

Apr 19, 2009
    Los Angeles
    3 to 5 hours a day and atleast 2 to 3 rehearsals a week.

14. epy

epy

Jun 15, 2006
    Not nearly enough. I used to try and do half hour to an hour a day on both upright and electric but since starting my new job I only find time to practice on weekends and some nights for 15 minutes. The saddest part is I just picked up a '51 P Bass.

15. dalahorse

dalahorse

Apr 14, 2010
    US-CO-Aurora
    During the week I'll play for about an hour. On the weekends, I'll do two or three hours at a time.

16. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    The real Chuck Norris would play 25 hours a day and still have plenty of time :bassist:

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    at least 30 min every day (have structured exercises). Generally is closer to 1-1.5 hours on non-gig days, 3-4 hours on gigs and rehearsals (about 2-3x a week). If only I didn't have a day job...

18. iPie

iPie

Dec 5, 2008
    Hampshire UK
    me too it just depends on the day...

19. puddin tame

puddin tame

Aug 14, 2010
    4 hours in my prime, probably about half an hour a day average now

20. I have no specific set amount of time. And I'm not sure if the OP means just practicing at home or with other musicians.

I'm not currently playing with anyone at the moment. But when I was... Our practice times were usually Tuesdays & Thursday nights, plus all day Sunday.

Alone practice time...
    There have been times when I'll sit down for an hour or so. I usually set some sort of goal, like come up with a new, interesting melody or something like that.

Sometimes, I just noodle around with an unplugged one while watching TV. Sometimes, I'll hear an interesting melody & try playing it. A few times, I've put the TV on mute & tried to play whatever came to my mind, according to the program's scene.

Then there were days when I just bought a new bass. The day I bought my Warwick Thumb BO 6, I completely lost track of time & it was already 1:00am before I realized I should be in bed. Same thing when I got my Conklin GTBD-7.

I like to equally rotate my basses for pracice. Switch the bass each day. In addition to the 2 memtioned in the prior paragraph, I can also stay true to my Ibanez SR885 of 19 years, the travel-size Bassfish by Goldfish Guitars given to me by my wife this past Christmas time... Even equal practice time with the Ashbory. If/when I get a more, they will also fall into equal rotation.