1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many pedals do you use on a job?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by IamGroot, Sep 29, 2019.

1. Just the bass and my fingers

2. 1 pedal

3. 2 pedals

4. 3 pedals

5. More pedals than Tim Commerford

6. Carrots in an orange stomp box

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. I usually dont use anything with an active bass, but I know I am in the minority. No compression. I like chorus and reverb occassionally. I use a DI box with passive basses.

What do you bring to a show and punch in for more than one song.

jazzyvee and Bobo like this.
  2. dramatwist

dramatwist

Sep 27, 2019
    Yamaha bass and an old Acoustic 360.

duracos, Bobo, Michael4bass and 2 others like this.
  3. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    In my top 40 cover band I regularly use compressor (always on), chorus (cure songs), OD, and auto wah (fly away).
    I use the B3n, so technically one pedal?

Meaculpa, Big Bass 88 and RyanOh like this.
  4. AlvarHanso

AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    I use 13 in my current set up, not counting expression pedals, of which I have two. Had to look up Commerford's board thinking it must be as amazing as that of @Bonesy85 (it wasn't).

Eta: that's for my jamband, classic rock cover band I may or may not bring the board, and if I do, don't use many of them; none for praise and worship, just DI and small amp for monitor.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    job?

6. I play original music, so I don't necessarily view gigs as jobs. But I get where you're coming from. I bring 4 pedals, including a tuner. We're going to start writing again soon, and I'll probably bring more stuff to rehearsals.

Bassist4Eris likes this.
  7. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I can't vote. Just my bass and a pick. No disrespect meant to those who use pedals. I admire people that can make them work. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them. What's really stupid is people who say you don't need them. How the hell do you know what someone else needs?

Kingmixer325, Timmah, Dunyet and 20 others like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Only if a certain song needs something specific. When I was doing Time is Running Out, I used an overdrive. I'm doing some fretless stuff now (Tears in Heaven, Bad Love), so I have a chorus to help fill things out. Other than that, nothing. That's what works for me.

9. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    On cover music gigs, I only bring 'utility pedals' like a tuner and a compressor because the music doesn't need more (30s to 60s, no fuzz).

Originals? Well... Around 8. most of them overdrives, distortions and fuzzes that either run stacked or get mixed with a Boss LS2. Envelope filter is in there too.

AlvarHanso likes this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Using my active Spector with band#1 for years I only used a tuner, then added an MXR Bass Comp, then put a VTbass down, and we just wrote one song where I use my Keeley Caverns delay & reverb for a few measures.

Since joining band#2 is when the earth really broke apart and a rabbit hole of pedals appeared under my feet! Now I've got a bigger board than a lot of guitarists that I'm still making adjustments to :whistle:

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Varies a lot. On any gig, if it's just clean tone all night, I'll at least bring the FlyRig these days, for the tuner (and to mute!) and its SansAmp section.

With Granite State Rhythm and some other occasions, I'll use the "medium" set up with a tuner, preamp, compressor, and for certain songs a chorus and maybe octave or OD.

With Six Cowards it's no holds barred: that's got a dozen or so pedals in separate signal chains to two amps and every single one gets used on at least one song.

jamro217, kesslari and Bassist4Eris like this.
  12. Hundred proof

Hundred proof

Apr 22, 2018
    Three ...

Voodoo Bass always on, set for “tube like” compression
    Sole Pressure, more push just into the grit zone
    Rust Booster, for a little more upper mids grind

0B1525ED-B96B-4D70-9316-84C8B2E98AA1.

13. I have few ”effecty” pedals, only really the SA C4 synth, which I haven’t really programmed yet :D.

Other than that a 30hz low pass filter, an FEA DE-CL always on comp with limiter for songs that need it. Noble Preamp, tuner and cabsim. I suppose I could find many of these things in an amp, but... been there, done that! Plus I wanted to try something new.

Now I'm gonna go find a bass synth sound for I wanna dance with somebody and a few other songs!:hyper:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Zero to three.

For hard rock I use three distortions in various combinations throughout the gig, depending on what kind and how much dirt I need. At least one will be bright/aggressive, at least one will be neutral.

For other gigs I use one or two dirts, or compression, or dirt plus comp.

And sometimes I use no pedals or FX.

IamGroot likes this.
  15. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    usually two, sometimes three.

16. I only have one pedalboard so these come with me everwhere. I have an EHX Humdebugger that is the only one that never gets used (I pray). VT bass di, mxr m87 and broughton hpf always on. Chorus, flanger, dirty robot, bsy600, EHX POG2 - depends on the songs on the set list.

theunknowndude likes this.
  17. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Depends on the setlist...
    DarkGlass Vintage Ultra V2 is always and at the end of the chain (DI with CabSim).
    Usually some compression - Becos Stella or Compressore. Compression and the Vintage Ultra add some tubey warmth.
    If we're doing Bridge of Sighs, a delay.
    Modern Rock stuff (e.g. GodSmack) gets some Alpha Omicron drive.
    If we're doing 80's (e.g. Eurythmics 'Here Comes The Rain Again') a simple synth.
    There's a couple that want an envelope filter - can't think of them offhand...
    Auditions and open mike/jam is usually zero.

18. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Well, I don't have a job.

Haven't gigged or played in a regular band for years now, but I am working on a solo bass project currently that might eventually lead to some gigs, once I got more tracks down and released some of those.

In that case I currently use 10 pedals for that project, one of them a multi effect, and I plan on getting at least 2 more, perhaps even 4.

I have absolutely no idea how many pedals Tim Commerford actually uses, but I definitely use more than 3 pedals, and while I do actually own an orange stomp box too, even as a part of my current setup, no carrots are currently involved in that, so weather it is then actually factually correct or not I took a wild guess and used the elimination approach ending up voting on the option that seemed to fit the bill the best which happens to be "More pedals than Tim Commerford".

19. ItsmeSantiago

ItsmeSantiago Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2015
    Depends on the gig, but I never take less than 1, being a tuner. My full board has 7 pedals though: Tuner>Drive>Boost>Octave>Delay>Mod station>Reverb. I almost always have one song in a set where I can throw a reverb or delay in, but those are mainly for me to mess around in the bedroom.

20. When I used to drive a roll-off refuse truck, I had three.:laugh:

In a band, I would only bring what is needed for whatever tunes need effects, otherwise I prefer none at all.

My Peterson tuner is there but it's not a "pedal"....

jamro217 likes this.