1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How often do you practice your bass? POLL

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NealBass, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Never

10 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 1 hour a week, or less

42 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2 to 4 hours a week

119 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. 4 to 6 hours a week

146 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. 1 hour a day

154 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. 2 to 4 hours a day

109 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. More than 4 hours a day (yikes!)

8 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    When I was full time, I would have answered 4 or more hours a day. Now that I am a week end warrior, it averages about an hour a day, not including band rehearsal. It may vary depending on what I have to learn and I may skip a day or two or I may play more. It depends on my needs and mood.

2. bass_case

bass_case Maintain low tones. Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2013
    Miami, FL
    Next poll: How often do you Really practice your bass?

lfmn16 likes this.
  3. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I didn't count rehearsals, but I did count working up new material in addition to practicing the instrument itself.
    I chose to reflect when I'm at my laziest and said 2-4 hours per week in the poll.

In truth, it's really a little more than that, but I'm not consistent and didn't want to give myself undeserved credit.
    On weeks when I'm really being good, it's about 4-6 hrs on DB and another 2-3 on BG. Many weeks, I just don't have that kind of time and settle for 20-30 min a day, three days a week, or so.
    Most of the time, it's somewhere in between.

4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

How often do you practice your bass if you don't count gigs, band rehearsals, and playing your favorite song for the 500th time?

If you define practice like Anthony Wellington, I would bet most people don't practice much at all:

comatosedragon likes this.
  5. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    I try to play a little bit every day, just as a goal, but often can't simply for lack of time. If I have a weekend of gigs booked I often blow off practice time for a couple weekday evenings. Gives my head and hands a rest.

6. The only practice I'm doing at the moment is reviewing songs for upcoming shows. With shows every weekend for at least the next two months that keeps me busy enough. I will be singing more songs lead in the band so my practice is learning to sing and play the songs. Repetition , repetition etc

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I've been practicing once a week just enough to keep current with the set list.

We are in the process of auditioning drummers and I'm not motivated.

8. Scales for the first 45 minutes, technique exercises for the second 45, then I work whatever music I need to learn followed by a run through of everything already that's already polished and usually an hour of writing.

9. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    I usually only practice when I need to learn new songs or before a gig. I used to practice 10-20 hours a week when I first started playing in a band to learn as much as I could. But, I also play guitar for my own pleasure, and I play that about 2-5 hours a week goofing off.

10. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    2-4hrs/week.
    I don't do structured practice really. Sometimes I'll practice my finger speed, my touch/dynamics, or my fluency in various chords, but mostly I'll just play whatever comes to mind on the spot. The most practicey thing I do is run through jazz tunes I like using my ireal pro app. I never seem to get bored of playing even the simplest songs, Caravan is a good example -- practically half the tune is V7b9, but I still struggle to keep my basslines interesting - that simple feedback of 'this doesn't sound good yet' is enough to keep me engaged and plugging away.

11. I pick up the bass every day and play/practice from 1 to a few hours a day. I have done this for last couple of years for several reasons. One, this is my second coming playing .I stop playing back in the 90's because of the hold life style thing. Two the joy's of getting older , my hands ! let's just say they need to say warmed up , I think this falls under the joy's of getting older I also have sleep apnea as well so I have been kicked out of the room and I have my own little man cave /music room that I keep two of my girl friends (basses) next to my bed. With that said I play my self to sleep. Third, I really enjoy playing.

12. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    Everyday.By the time I get out of work its really all I want to do when I get home

comatosedragon likes this.
  13. holdfast

holdfast

Jan 27, 2014
    Toronto
    Outside of rehearsal, I might play an hour per week if I add it all up. (Maybe a little more sometimes.) I don't think of it as practice. The only time I've done scales or exercises was when I was a little kid taking piano lessons. For guitar and bass, I've never thought in terms of 'practicing'. I found that once I got to a certain level of technical ability, I was just happy to maintain it.

I find that I get the most benefit out of rehearsal with the band, and then only need to do a little bit of playing on my own to keep my fingers from getting stiff.

14. Timmah

Timmah Supporting Member

May 19, 2011
    Connecticut
    I have mine in my hands for about an hour a day, so that's what I voted in the poll. That being said, my goal is to better use that time and to up the dosage to 2+ hours per day.

15. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my main instrument is piano/keys ... but I play/practice either keys, bass or guitar every night of the week .. and I've been playing piano 50+ yrs , ... gtr/bass - 40+ yrs ...

16. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I kind of take the Ginger Baker aproach to practice... He says - "For a period of a couple of years 1959 thru ..1961… I used to practice up to 8 hours a day on my kit…. after this I do very little practice….too much practice can be very damaging as a drummer gets to where he wants to play some lick he’s practiced on the gig whether it fits or not, instead of listening to the band…."

I practice when I need to learn something specific, other than that, for me, it's more about just playing around and keeping my fingers loose. If I'm gigging a lot, then no problem. If I go a week without a gig, my fingers get slow.

The skilz I like are being able to play in an ensemble, on the fly, and responding to what the other musicians are doing. Hard to do in a solo situation.

Marko 1 and Tim Henagan like this.
  17. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    At least 2 hrs. a day. I try to take one day off a week, but that's hard to do.

18. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    NEVER - too busy posting on TB!
    Seriously though, not enough - currently nothing to practice for - looking for something though.

19. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    I voted for 4-6 hrs a week. I really wanted to say an hour a day as on my good weeks when I don't have piles of paperwork to take up my evenings I can practice as much as 2 hours a day. But...this week I'm barely into the 4 hour territory and not likely to go much more than that. This is the most I've practiced since college but putting together a band takes work and it's work I wanna do.

20. Big Hoss

Big Hoss Up note, down note, blue note, brown note...

Need to figure out how to stash my Squier in my cubicle to practice via headphones during breaks... It's the main reason I bought a Squier in the first place. I would love to be able to eke my productive practice time up to at least an hour a day...