1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How often do you practice your bass? POLL

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by NealBass, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Never

10 vote(s)
    1.7%
  2. 1 hour a week, or less

42 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. 2 to 4 hours a week

119 vote(s)
    20.2%
  4. 4 to 6 hours a week

146 vote(s)
    24.8%
  5. 1 hour a day

154 vote(s)
    26.2%
  6. 2 to 4 hours a day

109 vote(s)
    18.5%
  7. More than 4 hours a day (yikes!)

8 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Practice only !!! 45 minutes to a hour a day .I warm up playing scales and some pen's that counts as practice ,Right? then I found my self going off too good knows where and sometimes it sounds pretty damn good and sometimes not. In this poll I'm not sure where learning andplaying songs falls under. playing or practicing ??

2. I warm up about 20 - 30 min before rehearsals once a week, and when working on new material, I usually jam a lot with myself, which I dunno if that is considered actual practice, but it gets me playing.
    Usually just me and a click track trying to get an arrangement of something going so I can then add drums to a steady bass track.

3. You guys are making me feel guilty!

Band practice twice a week for 2 hours each day, then probably another hour or two learning songs... But then I'm an old fart, so not much working on technique and theory anymore... although I should.

4. hey guys please for give me for some of my spelling .I'm at work jumping and out of the site.

5. When I first started playing, I played all throughout the day. Usually around 7 to 8 hours collectively and that went on for about 2 years straight. But I was a teenager living at home, nothing better to do. I almost gave up 6 months into learning to play because I couldn't switch strings, then it clicked one day and I finally started to understand how some things worked musically. Not everything, just some. That was 13 years ago and I'm still learning but not playing near as much as I used to or should for that matter. Any more, I play 2 to 4 hours a week. As far as techniques, my tapping leaves alot to be desired and my fretless playing and intonation could be better.

6. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Probably 3-4 hours (some times even longer) a day, twice maybe three times a week. For me, I have to refrain from picking one up because I won't put it down and I won't get any work done :p

7. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    I voted "never" in the sense that I don't actually "study" on the bass, never have. I play along with songs or by myself more or less every day however and have band practice/jams 2-3 times a week for 2-3 hours each.

8. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing

Jan 23, 2014
    Forcing it would probably make you hate it, practice because it's fun not because you feel you have to do it.

comatosedragon likes this.
  9. Hues

Hues

Nov 27, 2012
    see Burn Notice
    Everyday...Constant learning mode.

More often than not, there is a bass in my lap or next to me as I watch T.V....Come a lull or a commercial,I'm at it again.

10. 5string_phunk

5string_phunk Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    I try to practice at least an hour a day. I typically break it up into a routine similar to...

5 minute warmup (typically dexterity exercises *gradually get faster)
    5-10 minutes scales/arpeggios etc
    15-20 minutes working on a study piece (currently Bach's Cello Suite and Jaco's Donna Lee)
    15-20 minutes working on tunes/arrangements/creating more interesting bass lines for the band I'm playing with
    10-15 minutes jamming with iTunes etc
    5 minute cool down (dexterity exercises slowly/long tones)

I also have weekly 2 hour rehearsals with my band mates and gig just about every weekend.

Sometimes more/sometimes less depending on the time I have available and if I have any gigs I'm preparing for etc, but for the past year or so this has been my method and has been quite a boost to my playing, as well as my ability to sit in on random jams with confidence.

11. Abull78

Abull78

Mar 9, 2015
    If all playing is considered practice, at least 4 hours a day. I usually have a baas on me when do laundry or watching TV. If practice is only actual technique exercise and such....... I would say 5-10 hours a week. I would also say that varies a lot too. If I run into a situation where I can't play a part they way I hear it in my head I will just play that over and over until its right. On those occasions my old lady gets a bit jealous.

12. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    I practice right around 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Mostly in a (forlorn) hope to memorize more material... However, I do practice scales, modes, timing, etc. for at least ½ hour/day.

13. BassistNATE

BassistNATE

Dec 2, 2014
    Vancouver
    The dream at the moment would be an hour a day, if I could do that on top of everything else I do I would be very happy... As it stands tho I only get 2-4hrs of individual practice per week (Usually have at least one rehersal or gig a week on top of that tho which doesn't really count... but at least it gets my fingers moving!)

14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm not consistent. Some weeks I'll be really into it and pick up my bass everyday. Other weeks my head is in my writing and I only practice during rehearsal.

15. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Frankly seldom. I play 4 days or more weekly plus a rehearsal here and there. Unless I'm figuring out a new song, they sit in gig bags.

16. I play straight through all the songs on my set list plus other songs that are on the sub list this takes 6 hours if uninterrupted the day before a show. If I do not have that allotted time I will go through the 3 hours gig list for that show the day before like Thursday if the gig is Friday. If the show is Sat or Sunday I will go through the set list 3 hours before I play. This loosen me up and gets me ready for the gig. As most of you must go through my family doesn't understand why I need to practice ever after playing bass for 40+ years. I have told them over and over Bass is my passion I love to play I lose myself in it "Some people play to live I live to play"

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  17. Ed Bass

Ed Bass

Feb 23, 2015
    I find that if I don't play nearly every day my I tend to lose my edge. When we are gigging regularly in the summer season I take days off.

Bunk McNulty likes this.
  18. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I put 4-6 hours a week, but it varies. I play several other instruments too, and typically dedicate a combined total of 2-3 hours a day practicing divided between bass, guitar, drums and piano.

19. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I gotta say, I think I still "got it." Very thankful. Very fortunate.

Been playing as much as I possibly can. Last night the family was away. I intended to clean house a little and take a shower, make a bite to eat. Instead, just grabbed the bass.

Made a concerted effort to remember some old basslines and pieces I used to play years ago and--they have started coming back to me! Lots of old stuff I used to always jam, including the entire Peanuts Theme which a band I was in used to play for grins.

Sometimes it's a blast to do exercises or more elaborate or ornate lines that move and shift around a lot, but I had almost forgotten how...powerful it can feel to just knock out something lizard-simple like the bass part to "My Sharona" or some old Ramones cuts...

20. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Man, I would do just about anything to get back into jamming with other people and eventually gigging. Gigging was such a major part of my life for so long, and I still consider it one of The Greatest Feelings In The World.

I don't really have a bass amp that could be gigged or played in any band practice situation--not by a longshot. But I'll work on it.

Wanna play live again--just has to be the right situation and right people. I don't mind at all playing covers, for instance, or playing in a cover band, but while it's fine for people who are into it, I am just not interested in doing Eagles and Clapton type "classic rock" covers for the most part. I'm 46 so it may be hard to find guys my age (especially where I'm located) who are into heavier or more obscure music that I like.