1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How often should I change the flatwound strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by skaliwag66, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Do they have the problems of gunk building up on them like normal roundwounds?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    The more gunk, the more funk.

I don't know, it just sounded good at the time.

3. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I haven't used flats for a few years, but when I did, I just left them on forever.

4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    As long as you are still happy with the sound, flats should last indefinitely.

5. kelleysdad

kelleysdad

Dec 12, 2007
    Never

6. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Joe Osborne used the same set of LaBella original flats from 1961 or so until the late '90s. Then he started using something else only becasue he got a new bass from Lakland.

Carol Kaye never changed the strings on her Precisions when she was doing all that session work, she just bought a new P bass when her 850s' started wearing out.

If they're playing in tune and you like the way they sound, there's no reason to change strings- either round or flat.

jte

7. Bassisgreat

Bassisgreat

Feb 23, 2008
    Dallas, Tx
    not until dec 21 2012

8. lol The End of the World?

9. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    When they start sounding bad or falling apart. Both should take upwards of a few years if you picked the right strings for you in the first place.

10. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England
    I've had a set on for a couple years now. Just wipe them down with a good, soft cloth after playing and they should last forever (or at least until you start not liking the way they sound)

My uncle has a '77 P bass that had the original strings on until a couple years ago when he finally restrung it....

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I change mine once a year. I love the tone of them when they get some miles, but having one break on a gig is unacceptable. I have a lot of love for well worn flats, but I just don't have a lot of trust in old strings.

12. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    Same here...

13. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I run Chromes strung through-body - the oldest set I had burst winding over the saddle at 7 months. It's only the second time I've broken a string in 22 years, and I was admittedly abusing the string (playing hard AND stringing it with the sharp angle). If they don't break, I'm not replacing again - but I'm carrying extras just in case.

14. arthurzen

arthurzen

Feb 29, 2008
    New England
    This is usually in the back of my mind, but I always have a backup set of strings in my "bag o' stuff" and a spare bass ready to go! :)

15. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    i change mine every few months because I have no clue about anything. (true story)

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  16. vcs700s

vcs700s

Nov 17, 2006
    Stephenson, VA
    I have a set of Chromes on my Sterling. They have been on for a year and sound great. The key for me is to wipe them with a clean cloth after I play and once a week I use a string cleaner on them. They sound as good today as they did new. I have no plans to change them for quite awhile.

17. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    When they break, no sooner.

18. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I guess I am the exception here. I use Rotosound RS77 flats and I @#%$@^& love the way they sound. Nothing can even get close to touching them. I play them for two shows (about 4 hours each) and then put new ones on. The money isnt coming out of my pocket per se... I buy them with what I make from playing.

19. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    fyi Steve harris changes his flatwounds every show.

Right out of the package some flats can sound incredibly bright. but generally flats are left on for years and years.

20. Bass Tees

Bass Tees

Feb 11, 2008
    Milwaukee
    That is hilarious.