1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How pathetic is this???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, May 7, 2010.

1. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Its on American soil. There are 193 countries in the world, enough to have every other day covered in the calendar, solely with INDEPENDENCE Days. And here the festival isn't even as important as those. What are they going to do, ban wearing flag-based clothing completely, for the sake of "sensitivity"?

Big hoo ha over nothing.

2. Fast Days, Feast Days, Holidays, Sundays, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays.....

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It's extremely pathetic. PC is out of control. I personally don't care what anyone wears on their t shirt. It may make me think they are a moron, but it won't "offend" me.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    God forbid, someone should be offended!

5. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    What I gather from the article is that the kids were wearing the American flags intentionally to disrespect the Mexican holiday. As lame as I think THAT is, the administration really had no right to tell them that they can't as long as all they were doing was wearing stuff with American flags on it.

6. No American symbols on garments or jewelry will be tolerated on Canada Day in San Francisco.

Thank you for your obedience - The Board of Education

7. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I find it hard to believe that ALL they were doing was wearing stuff with American flags on it, usually in school these sort of things culminate over a long period of time and then come to head as something seemingly stupid and insignificant finally ratchets the tension up a bit too far. Maybe some of you guys don't remember highschool very well, but it can be a very violent and tense time. School faculty still have to deal with this stuff on a daily basis.

I'm certain these students that wore the flag tshirts understood very clearly what sort of dilemma they were creating for the faculty, and it's quite likely that this was not the first incident between the flag wearing kids and the "mexican" kids. I think it's ridiculous to assume that anyone would get upset over a couple of kids wearing American flag tshirts IF that's all they were doing/had done in the past. There is OBVIOUSLY some major racial tensions going on in that school, and THAT is what the faculty was worried about having explode in their face.

So, they were left with two choices. Either let this minor (seemingly) benign situation go unchecked and possibly be the final little bit of intentional abrasiveness that creates a very negative environment for the CHILDREN involved, OR just ask the kids who are intentionally trying to stir the pot to just turn their shirts inside out and take the political beating that would follow.

Honestly, although we obviously don't have all the facts, a lot of this seems fairly simple. IMO the faculty did the braver thing and chose to protect the kids in that school by doing what they felt they had to do, even though they surely most have known the sort of political heyday the press would have after glazing over the ACTUAL story of continued racial tensions in school between CHILDREN. Isn't the real story here that we STILL have people having to make these ridiculous decisions because we're still teaching KIDS to hate each other based on their racial backgrounds? The fact that either side of this situation even exists bothers me a lot more than the situation itself.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    This is about as stupid as those people that got upset when I wore a British Flag on St. Patties. Grow up people and stop taking life so seriously.

9. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    I find it pretty difficult to believe that there will be an organized effort to wear American flag shirts in any school in the US on that day.

10. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears

May 29, 2007
    I agree that if they had a history of hassling Mexican students, the administration probably did the right thing. It seems the way the article portrays it is that the principal (who seems to be Mexican) took issue with it and made them remove the flags on personal grounds, which I disagree with.

That said, it seems that, any history aside, they did do it out of defiance at least, disrespect at most. If it were one kid wearing an american flag shirt, that would be one thing. Hell, I rarely think about what shirt I'm pulling out of the drawer on any given morning, and had I one, there would definitely be a chance of my wearing it on Cinco de Mayo without meaning any disrespect, or even realizing what I was doing. But the fact that 5 of them who (I infer) were associated with one another were not only wearing american flag shirts, but also bandanas indicates that this could not have been the case.

11. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    This is ridiculous. While I do feel that it's quite possible that the children did wear the patriotic clothing on purpose, I also know that this sort of thing happens a lot. If you're going to be living in the US (or even visiting) then you accept what goes on over here. You don't come to someone else's country and tell them to stop doing what they do in supporting their country, it's ridiculous. I will avoid using any specific examples, as it's a very general thing.

Again, I think this specific incident may have been instigation. But otherwise, this still occurs frequently where people come from another country and complain about things done in our country.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Like how milk comes in bags?

13. the US does not have an offical language no... but california does, and it's english. although you'd never know it. beside the point of course...

it's "hammer and sickle" say it right or don't say it at all!

"the goddamn germans got nothing to do with it!"

funny you mention that.. i remember watching come program or another... it was about this guy who had bought some property by the coast with an old martello tower on it. anyway, so he's living in this martello tower and decides he wants to put up a jolly roger (skull and cross bones) for a laugh. well turns out the "man" didn't like this much so he receives a letter (from the her majesty's i assume) telling him he must take the flag down. he complies and puts up a union flag instead, only he accidentally put it up upsidedown. now he gets another letter asking him to quit being dissrespectful and fly it the right way up. so instead he hangs a french flag :spit: :D

yea, you should have seen all the micks around here get all riled up when i went to the st. pattys day parade dressed as martin luthor.

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    One of the kids sent home for wearing the American flag t-shirt was 1/2 Mexican. ;)

Cinco de Mayo isn't even a Mexican national holiday, it's pretty much only celebrated by the indigenous population very near the area where the battle took place. Well, and it is celebrated by large numbers of alcoholics here in the states.

No matter how you spin it, it should absolutely never be wrong or inappropriate to display the flag of any country, particularly the one you reside in. If my kid was sent home, there would have been much bigger problems at that school then some students who were allegedly offended.

15. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    WTH is Cinco de Mayo anyway? I've heard people say it has some meaning, but I don't know anyone, Mexican or otherwise that even cares about it. It's just the fifth of May, the day before the sixth and after the fourth.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yester Day, or To Day

17. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    At my school, a bunch of kids wrote "I'm Mexican Pull Me Over" all over all the student's cars in the parking lot in response to the immigration bill. Nobody got suspended for that.

I've seen the video before though, and it kind of pissed me off when the mexican students said it was "their" holiday. If I said 4th of July was "our" holiday, I'd suddenly be a racist.

18. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    It's like the mexican version of St. Patrick's day. I'm sure it means something in the country of origin, but everywhere else it's an excuse to drink.

19. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Dude that was an AWESOME band. Yesterday and Today!

[​IMG]

20. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I don't agree with the students being sent home or what happened for any reason. Even if the kids were doing it to protest the Mexican students celebrating Cinco day Mayo, that is still their right. I don't agree with a person who is pro communist wearing a Russian cycle and other thing shirt on the 4th of July but guess what. This is a free country and they can do that. That is their freedom is to speak out against something they disagree with. Now had the kids had shirts that said something like "Kill all Mexicans." that is a different story because then they are interfering with the freedoms of the Mexican kids assuming they are here legally and are protected under our constitution. But even if they were illegal immigrants that had somehow managed to find a way into our school system, I would still say send the kids home to change for having a "Kill all Mexicans" shirt but they did not. They were simply supporting their country and that is their God given right. If the others didn't like it, that is fine, they don't have to like it as that is their freedom too but they cannot take away the freedom of others based on solely on something they don't like.