1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How pathetic is this???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, May 7, 2010.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Absolutely!
    Someday, we're all going to be a slight shade of tan and speak some sort of universal Chinese/English/Spanish hybrid language and will have then to rely on height or something to hate for :)

2. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    It's gonna take 10,000 years to breed out my height genes.

3. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

Free speech most definitely does apply here and this type of situation has been very well defined by our judicial system. The school officials who disciplined the kids are just plain in the wrong, from a legal standpoint.

See: Supreme Court case Tinker v. DesMoines.

From Cornell University:
    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/historics/USSC_CR_0393_0503_ZS.html

From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinker_v._Des_Moines_Independent_Community_School_District

4. It's entirely possible. Not saying racism doesn't go on, but in my opinion this isn't racism. Just a cry for attention.
    In any case I didn't hear about it.

5. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    According to the school officials who disciplined the kids, the kids wearing the images of U.S. flags were intending to cause a disruption by doing so and wanted to disrespect the kids wearing Mexican flag images.

Let's suppose this is actually true. The only way this could happen is if the kids wearing Mexican flag images have a legitimate claim to be offended by images of U.S. flags. And this seems to imply that there is something inherently anti-Mexican about supporting the ideals that form the foundation of the United States.

I think many people actually do believe exactly that, and that's the reason for their being offended. They're thinking "How dare someone highlight the United States on the one day of the year that I get to highlight the country of my heritage."

I think it's unfortunate that we have gotten to this point. :(

6. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    The problem with that argument is that the kids did it to insight trouble. The clothing worn probably violated the school dress code on other levels as well. Not to mention that it was far from peaceful. The kids were confrontational and chose to go home and be viewed as martyrs rather than come to any peaceful agreement. From a school officials perspective, if other students complain or if they see fights and other troubles brewing, then they needed to take actions needed to nip it in the bud.

7. So what your saying is on the 4th of July anybody wearing a shirt with any others colors or flags should be sent home.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Hogwash....
    If the kids who were "offended" rose above this, then all of the power, attention and martyrism of this whole thing would have amounted to a whole lot of nothing. They are equally at fault and this is a mere symptom of a bigger issue that the school should be working on.
    The "patriotic" kids did it to incite trouble no doubt, but it's the kind of trouble that needs two sides.
    The school could have handled this a lot differently.

9. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    That isn't the same at all. As far as I know, the American flag doesn't go against a celebration of a battle won by Mexico against the French, does it?

10. Ummm.. schools have been given extremely wide latitude for limiting free speech if that speech causes disruption.

Schools ain't the public square.

11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Were you at the school that day? How can you be so sure of these facts? Based on the blog posted in the OP and the articles I've read about this topic on various news sites, it would be impossible to be able to draw those conclusions solely based on the facts as we know them right now.

Do you have an additional source, is my information not up date (entirely possible, I'll admit), or are you jumping to conclusions to support the side of the argument you want to be right?

12. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Hell the public square isn't the public square anymore in some cases.

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    Sounds like a few kids wanted the day off from school. They were probably sitting at home drinking warm Corona's and watching this story "unfold" on the news.

Meh,...where whatever you want,...there more to life than just being offended by everything.

Yeah, trendy in like 1998.

I think they should have allowed the "patriots" to were their shirts and if a fight ensued; out come the tasers. I'd play goal tender and kick any stray kids back into play.

This incident will go down as a foot note in history. Let me know when something truly important happens.

14. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Sorry, that just bugged the hell out of me.

Frankly I'm of the opinion that if you're in this country, expect to see this country's flag at any time and at any place and deal with it.

15. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    Don't let it bother you, you will never change their minds. Opinions are like a-holes, and more than half of them are full of poop.

16. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    I think the bugging is due to a typo.

I just re-read my post,....:atoz:

I guess it's too late for a ninja edit. :meh:

You don't see anyone storming the post office because they are flying old glory on the 5th of May.

I want to +1 all the importance placing on what is really just an an excuse to get drunk on watered down beer and tekillya.

17. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    lol no not that.

The whole

Where = location.
    Were = past tense of to be in the 3rd person.
    Wear = to be robed.

and

There = location
    They're = contraction of 3rd person present of to be
    Their = possessive

thing just drives me nuts.

18. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    :p

I wasn't saying meaning to imply that you were making the argument against it. I was just voicing my opinion of the situation and didn't want to double post so I kept your quote above it.

19. 529.

84794196_1ffc979d41.

They took our jerbs!!!

Uh,I mean........subscribed.

20. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Damn I did it twice? I'm usually pretty good about proofreading my posts,....:(

And I was pretty much agreeing with you. You are in America and here we fly the American Flag. It's on houses,...Federal Buildings,...Schools. I haven't heard of any buildings being burnt to the ground because they had the American Flag on them on Cinco de Mayo.

I'm curious,...in other countries do they have holidays that celebrate the heritage of their immigrants? Or do those immigrants celebrate their heritage by living it and being proud of it everyday. I guess I'm wondering why we pick just on day out of the year to celebrate this sorts of things.