1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How pathetic is this???

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Perry, May 7, 2010.

1. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Here I was thinking this was a thread about the Utah Jazz.

2. :mad:

3. Surely it's really similar to a kid in the UK, getting in trouble for wearing a Union Jack T-shirt on the 4th of July?

Oh, and it's generally known as the Hammer and Sickle, do you call the US flag the Stripes and Stars? :p

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    pfff...I like the idea of a Hammer and Cycle T-shirt. One big iron mallet and a Harley Davidson - who could be offended by that!?? :bassist:

5. Modern day adaptation of Thor right there :p

6. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Thor on wheels!

Yes, but it's all fun and games until someone wears their Odin on a Yamaha T shirt on Thorsday....

7. This is the bottom line.

8. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    What I find to be ironic is ... Cinco de Mayo is celebrated nationwide here in the US, but not Mexico, as it's mainly celebrated in Puebla (since Cinco de Mayo is The Battle of Puebla, as far as historical battles).

Even with all of the Mexican celebrations, parades, and Mexican pride ... for us of non-Mexican descent, it's a non-offical US holiday that mandates; eating Mexican food ... and enjoying Mexican alcoholic beverages (to excess in many cases). Quite frankly ... if there is anything that Mexican-Americans should get upset about, is that. (using a Mexican holiday as an excuse to get drunk and eat chips and salsa). In all honesty, I don't understand why Americans find the need to celebrate a Mexican war holiday ... it's not like we Americans need an excuse to drink and eat. In fact ... it was America that first put the Mexicans in the position to be occupied by France in the first place (since Mexico couldn't pay its debt to France for the Mexican-American war, amongst other wars soon after)

As far as student Annicia Nunez's quote "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July" ... well around here (western NC), plenty of Mexicans wear Mexican soccer jerseys on the 4th ... I see it every year. Perhaps I should feel disrespected too. ;)

Although I do believe that the act of wearing American Flag clothing was much more than a peaceful protest, by those few students; I do believe that the punishment flies in the face of what this country purports it stands for ... the ability of Freedom of Speech ... the ability of Peaceful protest. (no matter the underlying sentiment). IMO ... if the Principle was worried about a conflict between those students, and those of Mexican descent ... he should have just put them in "in-school suspension" ... thus avoiding and removing any potential conflict that my arise. Also I do believe the Priciple's actions were that of someone who was personally offended, more than anything else. (like sending a student home is any kind of punishment for the student ... try a free day off). Quite frankly, I believe the Principle dropped the ball here ... IF schools are supposed to prepare students for life in the "real world" ... then this is what they'll have to expect at some point in their adult life. It's best to learn how to react to being disrespected while you're in school ... than when you're an adult. Because in the adult world ... there won't be a Principle to send people home who offend you.

As far as Roger Ebert's tweet quote ...
    "Kids who wear American Flag T-shirts on 5 May should have to share a lunchroom table with those who wear a hammer and sickle on 4 July."
    This makes no since ... It would be more insulting to wear the "Union Jack" on the 4th of July ... not the hammer and sickle. :rollno: (just goes to show ... even Baby Boomers don't know their own history either. even worse, a "movie critic" not being able to make an analogy that makes since. :rollno: :rollno: monkey!)

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My take. The kids can wear it. If they have a history of instigating minorities then it's a different story. Man no one gave a crap what each other wore when I was in school. If you wore an american flag you were either perceived as military, an athlete (Olympics), or just at the tail end of the laundry cycle. I remember wearing septic death t-shirts and no one batted an eyelid. If the Mexican kids want to wear a Mexican flag on Cinco de Mayo that's cool too. There are two possibilities on why this got the press that it did, either the kids had an agenda (in light of AB39 in Arizona) or the administrators had an agenda (in light of AB39 in Arizona). I'm smelling fish.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    It might be your avatar.

11. Pushead! \m/