1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to choose pickup setup?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CptanPanic, Mar 25, 2009.

1. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    Hello,
    I am wanting to build my first bass, and am thinking about the pickups. I play mostly reggae and like the low end, also I would like flexible setup so that if I don't like pickups I can fit some other ones in same holes. Not nessisarily looking for pickup suggestions, but like p-bass, or j-bass, or j/p bass, etc. I am also thinking about economics and can't spend too much.
    Thanks,
    CP

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Well, if you really want maximum flexibility, overlay the J, MM and P pickups (all centered on one point) and see what the maximum size is; add other pickup sizes if neccessary. When you get to routing, use that maximum area. Might look ugly, but you'd be able to swap them.

Also, in that case, you might want to consider doing what EMG has done with their Quik-Connect (sp?) mechanism and solder the pickup leads to small universal connectors - that way you can just unplug one set and set the other. What will probably give you a headache is the location of the pickup screws, though... draw it five times and route/drill once.

As far as cheap pickups go, GFS is the simplest answer, Kent Armstrongs are also a valid option (and their toaster pickups are supposedly really great)... any more takers?

3. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. The GFS pickups look good. Maybe I will go with 2 Music Man pickups. Looks like a very flexible setup.
    CP

4. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    I have changed my mind and am thinking of going with a J bass setup or a J/P setup. GFS does not carry these is 5 string, and other suggestions for good cheap passive pickups? On ebay I see Wilkinson, Artec. Are they any good?

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    i would look on ebay for some used fender pickups or something similar. you might be able to find some decent pickups for half the price. i buy almost all of my music equipment used to save money, and get great quality stuff. pickups dont really "wear out" unless theyre corroded, so if they look clean, they are probably fine.