How to convert 9/16" tuner for 11/16" hole.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lavmonga, Oct 30, 2017.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    So I have these old Grover Wavy Titans and wanted to put them on my Geddy Neck, the issue was that the Geddy tuners have an 11/16" bushing and the Grovers are 9/16". I scoured TB and found some helpful advice and figured i'd post a "how to" with pics - a culmination of my research.

First, here's the headstock with original chrome Fender tuners - I actually might switch back because they really do look great.

F45149A0-C259-4EC6-AE3D-D955FBFD8BC3_zpsoyjta90m.jpg

I read in some posts that people filled the space with some plastic pipe from Home Depot, I couldn't find one that worked, but I bought some vinyl tubing (.5" ID) that fit the specs pretty well. Here's the tube I purchased:

E9B3504E-2A36-460D-8567-93F6F40C0CAC_zpsjegeic8n.jpg

It's a little snug on the Grover tuner, so I cut two small slits for relief at the ends. Put the washer on FIRST as you won't be able to fit it over the tubing.

8E121B61-9333-4E01-AE83-E372F5312917_zpsc0cnqkwb.jpg

Cut excess tub, push the new wider tuner into your existing 11/16", tighten the nut and you're done!

A88A692E-4936-4FFC-86AB-767524EAF7FF_zpsaonl0ekr.jpg

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Slick. Easier than gluing dowels and redrilling for sure. Is the tuning stable?

3. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Tuner is totally stable, although the Grover do tighten and screw in, I didn't want to take a chance with leaving the gap.

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Rather than switching back right away; do us all a favor and leave them in awhile. A year would be nice. I'm interested to know if the tubing will deform and migrate around the bushing over time.

5. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
  6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Tip: If you buy undrr sized plastic tube you can slit it lengthwise to make it fit a larger diameter. Conversely you can remove a strip lengthwise on an oversized tube.

andruca likes this.
  7. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think HipShot has premade conversion bushings, also... but this is a great idea, and probably cheaper, too!

Love the black hardware, too!

dab12ax7ef and emblymouse like this.
  8. RonSound

RonSound Proud Registered Supporter of Talkbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 24, 2008
    owner: RonSound effects and repairs
    I did a similar thing on a bass except I used short lengths of brass tubing. I found a piece with the right outside diameter and drilled out the inside to the needed diameter. Worked great and you can't even see it from the outside.

sissy kathy likes this.
  9. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    how is this holding up? did the tubing deform?

10. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    I'm interested as well.

11. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I've still got them in and I've had no problems at all!

hypercarrots likes this.
  12. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    california
    the posts are not slanting forward?

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021