1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How to get velcro to stick?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MonkeyBass, Jan 9, 2015.

1. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    I don't know if this has been discussed before.

How in the heck do you all get vecro to stick to the bottom of a pedal. I've tried epoxy, super glue, and gorilla glue. NONE of those stick to the pedal. The problem is the glue that's already on the velcro comes off and I cannot for the life of me get that original glue off before I glue it down with epoxy. So annoying.

Anyone have any ideas or tricks you could share?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I use a hot glue gun, never had a problem. I also used self-adhesive velcro, never had a problem. I don't change around my board a bunch though, my pedals tend to stay in place for a long while.

hintz and Teijo K. like this.
  3. I always scrub the bottom of the pedal with rubbing alcohol (99% isopropyl) and let it dry before affixing the Velcro. Seems to work pretty well but maybe I just got lucky with decent Velcro (came with the pedaltrain jr. I have). I've heard good things about "power-grip" from (I believe) Godlyke.

Edit: Regarding removing old glue, try lighter fluid or maybe even the same rubbing alcohol?

ddnidd1 and Crater like this.
  4. Wren and Cuff

Wren and Cuff Commercial User

Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Creator/Owner: Wren and Cuff FX
    Some of it is physics. If you use the thin strip kind of velcro, then less surface area makes it harder to stick.
    If you get the big rolls of wide black "industrial" velcro tape, available at home depot, or many sellers on ebay, as long as you are sticking to a clean surface (clean with rubbing alcohol as someone already mentioned) then it should stick to the point of it being hard to remove.
    Also, the board you are sticking to needs to be completely covered in the other side of the velcro tape to avoid that side peeling up. I like the fuzzy side on the board, hook side on the pedal.
    So ideally, your pedal board is 100% covered in fuzzy tape.
    If all of the above is done correctly, there should be no need for glues, epoxy, etc.
    Hope this helps.
    Matt

5. vivifiction

vivifiction

Jan 22, 2011
    Texas
    Industrial velcro and you're all set. I've never had the velcro come off of a single pedal before. The only drawback is if you're trying to remove the velcro, that's not going to be too fun—but nothing a razor blade can't handle.

jwr likes this.
  6. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    I always ran into issues with it peeling off after a few months.....then leaves a gooey splooge glob on the pedal

7. MonkeyBass

MonkeyBass

Mar 22, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Yeah that what happens to me. I use the velcro that comes with the pedal train pro. Big heavy duty stuff. Peel off after a few weeks. Then get's gooey when I try to add epoxy to it.

I give up.

8. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    SnL and hintz like this.
  9. I had issues before with cheap lowes/home depot Velcro. If it sat in the garage or band trailor in the summer turned into a mess and the "glue" seemed to want to stick to my hands better than the pedal or the board. Lately I've been using the Velcro that came with my gator aluminum board. Haven't had any issues. So maybe it's just different grades of Velcro.

MonkeyBass likes this.
  10. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    that's a great idea!!!

I had the same experience only it happened in ONE NIGHT!!! I have to store my pt pro upright in my work locker for space, next day I opened it and every one came loose!!! Not cool....
    and this is what I use now for my pedal board, I no longer worry about mishaps OR someone stealing one if my pedals in between sets....

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I buy self adhesive velcro from a small local sewing shop. Never had any problems with it. Once I velcro my pedal, it's there for good.

12. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    I think there are lots of factors involved, type of Velcro, surfaces, temperature,how humid or dry a place is...

I tried first the pedaltrain stuff, then "industrial" grade, I wish it would've worked, but both failed within a day, but I'm in a pretty humid place so I use disassembled bike chains and sheet metal brackets( bribed an auto shop to make)for pedals that won't work with bike chains (fulltone, tubeworks, etc), no issues since.... I did read somewhere you should let Velcro sit for 24 hours so it really bonds to the surface so I have one digitech pedal(drop) that is Velcro-ed on cuz the screws are on top

13. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    pb.

its not pretty, but its secure, it does make it a PITA to rearrange stuff(as evidence of the numerous holes drilled into it), but if your happy with the pedals you got and dont plan on swapping any out its a good method IMO.... I also left enought room to unplug everything in case a cable goes bad....

14. Brake parts cleaner takes the old glue off. If you want velcro to stick really well clean the surface and then heat the bottom of the velcro with a heatgun before you apply it. Makes a huge difference.

hintz likes this.
  15. [Indignant Irate John Cleese Voice]
    Whoah whooohah. NOT _ PRITT—TEEEEE? [[splutters, goes in to convulsions]] It's only one of the best ever wayyyyysss devised of attaching a box of eeeelectronic-kal sound-making mayhem upon which one can freely trod upon, Nee! STOMP! UpOn ! and as such is utmost pleassssing as can be set upon the rods & cones giving pleasure to the gelatinous globules found to be lurking inside any cranium – be that of a pan troglodyte guitareeeesstuh, or indeed erectus bassius homo sapien!
    [/ Indignant Irate John Cleese Voice]

It's beautiful in my eyes. There's another guy on TB who custom builds his own pedal boards (CCouch7) using bike chain links and I tell you his boards are works of ART! You'll find a few others doing the chain link thing, too, when you do a search.

I might try this on my latest pedals, unfortunately the semi-tropical weather here kind of acts like a heatgun to the glue for most of the year, so the velcro is all hooked up, but the pedals may not be.

I was surprised by some of the locales where people are having problems with velcro glue:: not hot, not tropical, not humid at all.

hintz likes this.
  16. I use that super velcro stuff and make sure the bottom of your pedal is uber-clean before application and you won't run into the issue at hand.

17. Well I'm here to tell you that you can "uber-clean" your pedal "before application" and still wind up with a gooey mess on the bottom of a pedal with a fresh new chip in the custom finish and a bunch of velcro attached together without the aforementioned pedal in sight.

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Never had a problem with Velco as long as the pedal has a smooth metal bottom, the only problems are with pedals with rubber or foam bottoms (Zoom, EBS, Boss). I've used several different but usually cheapo brands and no problem with the glue.

How do you handle pedals when reconfiguring your pedalboard? I use a ruler to break the bond of the Velcro, I don't try to just lift the pedals.

Maybe it's also down to climate, do people having problems live in warm places?

19. SnL

SnL New World Man

Dec 25, 2006
    Ohio
    Just went thru this nightmare yesteady with my ikea diy pedalboard (plans for it are on tb...do it!). Decided I wanted to repaint it. Pulled the velcro off and that adhesive would NOT come off the board. Razorblades, goo be gone, sandpaper, and all. Except for the brake cleaner, which I just read:cool:. Got as much as possible off and put two coats of Rustoleum semi gloss on it. We'll see if the new velcro works without pulling up the new paint. If not, going to those chain links...that's a heck of an idea. I really gotta check the TB boards before I panic next time;)

20. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Answer: Do not use velco.

Use either 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners, or Godlyke Power-grip Pedalboard Velcro Alterntive Pedal Mounting Tape (same stuff as the 3m product, just rebranded.)

Many reasons why this stuff is better, but to answer your immediate question, the adhesive is much more than a peel and stick type of adhesive. Once you peel the backing off, it exposes the adhesive to oxygen, so it actually has a 'curing' process of about 24 hours before you can expect it to become permanent. Sticks to metal, painted metal, plastic, painted wood, etc.

There are different strengths of this stuff based on stem density. 170, 250, and 400 stems per inch. The Godlyke stuff only comes in 400, and is a bear to separate when you have to move a pedal. Sometimes you have to use a coin or something to pry up the pedal to separate the halves of the Dual Lock, but the adhesive itself never breaks free of your pedal or board. If you find the 3M stuff, I suggest the 250 grade.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015