1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How To: Record w/Plex & GarageBand?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by BOOG, Jul 11, 2019.

1. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Noob Warning....!

Yes, I am new and very green on the recording knowledge. Given that I have both an iPad Pro and GK Plex, can I record my bass with those components, alone?

If so, how?

If not, how?

Thanks for taking the time for your responses.

2. You will need a interface or dongle cable of some type for the ipad for the plex to be able to plug into it.

BOOG likes this.
  3. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks
    chain would be as follows:
    bass - inst cable - plex - usb micro - ipad - garageband app

Does the plex still need to be plugged in to the A/C outlet? I assume it would but, not sure.

If this is the correct sequence for equipment, what do I do next with the app?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  4. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    MODERATORS: can you please help me move this to “Recording Gear and Equipment” if that is a more appropriate forum section?
    Thank you

5. I assume that should work I haven't used garageband and I have a older ipad min2 and use a camera conect cable into a steinberg ur44 interface using cubasis for mine but I'm fairly sure the new ipads dont need all that to function for recording but I could be wrong.

BOOG likes this.
  6. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm not sure that the iPad Pro can supply power via usb, so you may have to plug in any hardware.

Beyond that, you simply open the app. GarageBand will recognize the interface, and you're off and running.

BOOG likes this.
  7. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Thanks! I guess I just needed some reassurance that it was that simple before getting started into it. If it’s a complicated PITA I’m less motivated to get started recording. I’m at the point that I want to get some creative stuff down so I can recall it later and make it grow.

tfer likes this.
  8. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Be careful - it's a rabbit hole with no bottom. Started about 5 years ago with an iPad and interface, doing the same as you.

I'm now recording with a new Mac Mini and Logic Pro X...

dannylectro likes this.
  9. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yeah but it’s a healthy habit. I’ve delved down scarier lairs ;)

tfer likes this.