1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How to TUNE an 8 string bass?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazy B., Feb 9, 2004.

1. I just bought a fretless 8 string XL8 Kramer Bass (4 pairs of strings). Joy! Thus, now for the important question: what strings do I provide it with and how do I tune them? Thanks y'all!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Lokk on the net for a place to order them. www.juststrings.com, MusiciansFriend, places like that. THey are tuned EADG amd EADG respectively. :) THat means that the thick ones are regular bass notes, and the added set is an octave up from that.

3. Allright, I see. That's what I thought; tuning in octaves. Can I use regular guitarstrings for the high ones?

And are there perhaps any interesting alternative ways of tuning an 8 string?

4. Markdezy

Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    Atlanta
    12stringbass.net should be helpful to you.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am sure there are other tunings, but I haven't used any. Regular guitar strings might work if they are long enough, and the ball ends don't slip through the bridge.

6. I tuned an 8 string bass going
    (notes in paratheses are for the octave higher strings)
    E(b)-A(e)-D(a)-G(d)
    Standard tuning with a compound 5th :)
    You could also do

C(E)-G(B)-D(Gb)-A(Db)
    Tuned to fifths, and an compound 3rd! makes for very funky and melodic double stops.

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    D'Addario makes an 8 string set. (XL 8)

I believe GHS makes them as well, but I have only seen the XL8's in my travels.

8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Hmm...those tunings sound interesting...I'll have to give them a shot.

9. I heard the guy from Cheap Trick tunes E + 5th above, A,D,G + octaves.