1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How we should speak to guitarists.....

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by WI Short Scaler, Dec 21, 2018.

1. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    As far as I'm concerned, the one with double-sharps in it is always the wrong choice.

john m likes this.
  2. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    I thought you were supposed to use words of one syllable or fewer. Hold on, that's for talking to drummers, my mistake.

hintz likes this.
  3. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Ah, he's a frustrated a cellist.

4. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I can play 6-string guitar, can't everyone? The only instrument I play in bands is bass (mostly fretless) and I learned bass first.

Ps I also play cello, only grade 5 though.

Mr_Moo likes this.
  5. Isn't it amazing how a humorous post has devolved into people airing their prejudices without so much as a smile?
    F# is what I was taught to call it but if you were taught something different then so be it. It's not like I feel a burning desire to bang on and on about how wrong you are, you're different, so freakin' what? If you start talking about Gb I'll know that it's F# in my head, and vice versa. It's not the end of the bleedin' world people, and it's not wrong, it's just different names for the same thing depending on your musical upbringing.

May I also take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and ask that you lighten the frack up.

This has been a public service announcement from someone who plays guitar, bass, a bit of keyboard, a few chords on the mandolin, blues-harp, and can shake a mean tambourine in any key. ;)

Wisebass and instrumentalist like this.
  6. I just keep a handy rack with twelve tambourines, one for every key...

Wisebass and Mr_Moo like this.
  7. dab12ax7ef

dab12ax7ef Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Yeah, F# and Gb are the same key, potatoe, potaatoe. What drives me bonkers is when the key signature is a flat key like say Db and the guitar player or worse yet the chart says the second chord is a F#. NO!! That is wrong. That is when it not a F#, it’s an Gb!!! I take the original humorous post in that context.

Mr_Moo and vvvmmm like this.
  8. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    You could give them treats when they do a good job

hintz likes this.
  9. Replace your guitar player with a real pianist. Your negative issues will be reduced and pleasures increased. Your musicality can be bumped up a several levels. Now, this may be an impractical solution for some, but for me it is the perfect win-win environment.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    I'm tired of playing around with his fortissimo passages. My Ampeg may only be solid state but it's still an Ampeg and it's 450 watts. The amp has 2 10" speakers and then I have a 15" Celestion 400 watt Green Label Bass extension speaker in a cabinet. I tested it out at 8 on the preamp and 8 on the Ampeg. It is freaking monstrous.

11. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    "Yeah man I've got this like Dorian thing going on y'know".... yep, we've all been there many a time :)

12. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Totally agree. I play rock, "americana/amerijuana" and dabble in reggae, blues, and jazz - all from a rock standpoint, what for me is almost all guitar-based writing (other than some jazz standards).

When I write, it's on the treble clef, if any (as opposed to just naming the notes and fret position, or doin' a little tab).

I must say, I have never seen anything in the key of Db (absent a chromatic part), only C#, same with Gb versus F#.

Now, I think today I'm-a write sompin' in Cb. ;)

13. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Maintain eye contact and speak very slowly
    Duke

14. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Don't you mean "what in the E#"? Remember, we don't use flats where a sharp will do.

Wisebass and Mr_Moo like this.
  15. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Oddly enough, last weekend I played 3 concerts and all 3 had a piece in Db and two of them had a piece in Gb. All choral music and church stuff I admit. Just thought that was a funny connection.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
    Mr_Moo, instrumentalist and vvvmmm like this.
  16. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Well said, and a good lesson for developing communication skills.

cnltb likes this.
  17. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    We’ve been getting a lot of songs in Bb since our PWL’s wife started running the orchestral instrument section...lol.

Cowboy in Latvia likes this.
  18. I was being facetious, and referring to the great majority of people who play guitar and how we learn - and include myself in there despite getting some formal instruction. The young players coming through now who have a deep knowledge of theory blow me away.

I apologise to anyone who feels my comments were off topic, and thank the contributors who helped me see what I was missing in the F#/Gb question.

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Maybe the third chord is a B, because it’s a new key.
    Oh no, here comes a new discussion.

20. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    All I get from this thread is that guitarists can easily torment bass players by pretending they don't understand music theory. ;)

zZippy, Mr_Moo, Slinger and 1 other person like this.